Identifying the Dist. O-Ring leak ?

Fmr12B

Looking to buy a Cutlass and I have done a ton of research on the this site and 60degreeV6. I've read the fix (gasket & RTV).

I have never seen this engine before so how do I identify the Dist. O-Ring leak?

How much fluid do you lose on a minor leak, normal leak, bad leak?

Thank!

Look for the silver plug where the distributor would be on an older car (in the block valley close to the tranny bellhousing). Then look around it. Is it wet with oil, or dry? If oil covered, then it's leaking. If dry as a bone, it's not leaking.

I don't remember how much oil you lose, maybe a qt every 1000-miles?

I've never really seen one leak much worse than the other. They usually leak, or they don't. By the time they leak, the soft rubber O-ring has become hard brittle plastic.

That GD leak can become the Niagara Falls of oil leaks, believe me. But the cheap fix works well, been going on 1+years now on her motor and THAT one is dry. But another sprung up!

I just had my 95 Convert fixed the expensive way...mech said that he could not get the dist out more than a 1/16th inch and that was not enough to get a gasket under and seal....good news was it only cost me $463.00 to have the head pulled and the timing belt replaced...as well as the $1.76 O-ring!!! Got a GM dealership ring though, as I think the consensus here was that they changed the material. No leaks so far. Before, I had to put a qt in every 2-3 days and could see a rather large puddle (dinner plate in a few minutes) under the car after driving. Prior to having the major leak, it was leaking a bit, because since I bought it in March, it has had a smell of oil burning when sitting at lights and stop signs, so that would be a sign of the O-ring leak. Since fixed = NO smell! The original o-ring was brittle and cracked as it was handled. I figure the car is worth $500 more if the owner can produce paperwork showing the oil leak was fixed, at least it would be for me. good luck

Thomas

Ok,

went to look at a '95 today.

I saw a leak/spilled oil on the passenger side of the engine that was very old and dirty. Saw no leak on the drivers side where the trans bolted to the engine. Still no clue where the Dist. O-Ring is but I think I looked in the right area.

• 3 weeks later...