increase fuel milage

camkos10101

Reduce weight. Take out any unneeded items in your car, cleaning the interior of trash. The less weight you have to move, the better the fuel efficieny and better pick-up you have.

can anyone with the 3.1/2.8 actually notice a slight drop in acceleration just by having one passenger or more? also i know this is terrible for the car, but if i started the car after sitting thru a cold day/night, and just floor it and take off right after, it seems much much quicker than any other time. i didnt do that too often but i did notice a diff

well im talkin about the whole block being a good 32-40 degrees. something that cold i think would hinder performance, let alone the long term damage flooring like that would do

Your right, speaking of cold: I wonder what the stock thermostat temp is for a '89 grand prix. I have the digital guage with analog temp, voltage, tach and the temp stays right at 220 when its warm. I think thats too hot but I love the heater :)

thats perfect....i think the thermostat is 190 degrees and in my old prix and this new one they both climb to 220 and sit there and thats it....it should only reach that high if your letting the car warm up for like 30 minutes or if you;ve been idling for a while in general. otherwise it stays around 160

I agree with Shawn...I had an engine builder show me exactly what happens when you use a colder stat...

He pointed to the cylinder wear ridge on the #2 cylinder. That cylinder is right next to the water pump outlet (cold coolant comes in to the block there). There was a HUGE ridge in that cylinder...it caught my fingernail easily. The most pronounced part of the ridge was right behind the coolant inlet! Then he showed me the other 5 cylinders...they had almost no ridge. In fact, the #5 cylinder (farthest away from the coolant inlet) had no ridge what so ever. He said the reason for the large ridge in the #2 cylinder was because of the use of a cooler thermostat. The cooler the cylinders, the more they wear.

Of course, I don't listen to my own advice...I use a 160 degree stat in my TurboSTE. But thats because it's chipped.

Jason