Flowmaster or magnaflow??

Cheesy411

IMO, it's not so much that the Flowmasters sound ricey (i don't think they do), but they def. have more rasp than I like. Not to mention the fact that they really don't flow as much air as everyone thinks they do. They sound cool on big motors (have an 80 series crossflow on the camaro listed in sig.) but too raspy on smaller motors.

Magnaflows are going on my Lumina.

- Justin

if flowmasters can flow enough for 12 and 11 second cars in hod rod mag, i'm sure they flow good enough for any of us

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 93CutlassSupreme

• Tru2Chevy

• Dannymik

• Cornerdealy

if flowmasters can flow enough for 12 and 11 second cars in hod rod mag, i'm sure they flow good enough for any of us

I never said that they were not good enough for our cars. I was just throwing it out as a tidbit of information.

- Justin

I never said that they were not good enough for our cars. I was just throwing it out as a tidbit of information.

- Justin

you made it out like flowmaster mufflers are a major restriction in the exhaust system, and while they restrict flow to a degree, i highly doubt that restriction will make any noticable difference

like i said,

Flowmasters still flow worse than do straight-through designs like Magnaflows though. This isn't that much of an issue on a non reving 3.1L MFI engine (which is pretty dead by 5K rpm), but on something that revs (like the 3.4L DOHC), a chambered muffler design (like Flowmasters) DOES become a hindrance.

My advice for DOHC owners is to ONLY get a straight-through, perforated core muffler (Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax Ultraflow), and to USE a resonator of a similar design (a perforated core glasspack such as a Thrush works for this).

Either way, if you want maximum performance, you should also be looking at mandrel bent piping as well (the best compromise between low backpressure and high gas velocity is probably 2.25in for OHV's and 2.5in for DOHC's). It does no real good to have the freest flowing mufflers on the market if your piping is still crush or press bent.

Oh..........and even 11-12 second muscle cars WILL (and have) see/seen an improvement in times/trap speeds with more efficient mufflers...........remember, while the Flowmasters *may* have enough CAPACITY for X hp, better mufflers will be more efficient if they flow better (ie: more power at lower flow values).

Oh..........and even 11-12 second muscle cars WILL (and have) see/seen an improvement in times/trap speeds with more efficient mufflers...........remember, while the Flowmasters *may* have enough CAPACITY for X hp, better mufflers will be more efficient if they flow better (ie: more power at lower flow values).

isn't some backpressure good, espically on a muscle car which doesn't have a cat?

oh well, i still love the sound of my flowmasters, and i'm not going to change

I used Magnaflows on my Z-34 and was pleased with the noise and performance. I only rode once in a Flowmaster equipt Z-34 and it was soo loud...it wasnt even like a v8 kinda loud...but maybe if you like attention and scaring old ladies then go with the flowmasters... :dunce:

I used Magnaflows on my Z-34 and was pleased with the noise and performance. I only rode once in a Flowmaster equipt Z-34 and it was soo loud...it wasnt even like a v8 kinda loud...but maybe if you like attention and scaring old ladies then go with the flowmasters... :dunce:

was it loud, or did it just vibrate? my car isn't LOUD, but you can hear it, thats for sure, and i can feel the mufflers vibrate in the floorpans

loud with just a tad bit of vibration, not like the vibration of a v8

o

what do mangaflows retail for, and is there any shops that sell them, because i've never seen them in stores. just wondering, i've seen flowmasters for $65, i paid $70 a piece

isn't some backpressure good, espically on a muscle car which doesn't have a cat?

oh well, i still love the sound of my flowmasters, and i'm not going to change

The ideal amount of backpressure depends entirely on your setup. All out race motors (what most of the 11 sec guys have) don't need any backpressure, as they spend all of their time in the upper half of their RPM range, and don't really use the low-end torque.

Glad you love your blowmasters (j/k :lol: )

- Justin

Actually, regardless of the car, you want as little backpressure as possible.

BUT.

You DO want to keep exhaust gas VELOCITY high so you still have a mild pressure scavenging effect at lower rpm, thus helping (or at least keeping) your low rpm torque.

This is why you have to be careful about pipe diameter choice..........

BUT.

You DO want to keep exhaust gas VELOCITY high so you still have a mild pressure scavenging effect at lower rpm, thus helping (or at least keeping) your low rpm torque.

thats what i thought

i thought backpressure affected exhaust gas velocity though

3.1 and 3.4 sound completely different. If your not careful on the 3.4 you will end up with something that sounds like a wound up dirt bike.

hey 93CutlassSupreme, I'm looking forward to hearing those sound clips, how long till you can get em?

sorry, i haven't done that yet

if its not windy or rainy tomarrow i will record them. you can bitch me out if i don't :lol:

:lol: take your time.

I'm planning on getting some flowmaster 40's (maybe super 40s) this summer

go for it. they're well worth it, and they DO NOT sound like shit on the 3.1 multiport, as others would like you to believe

Not really helping on the subject but I like to hear straight pipes...on any engine...just my personal opinion and it ain't gonna change

but due to legality of straight pipes in my area

just throw a set of glasspacks on it and git 'er donnnnnnnneeeeeeee :lol:

god i'm a hick :lol:

Glad you love your blowmasters (j/k :lol: )

- Justin

:lol: never heard that one

In my circle of friends they are commonly referred to as either blowmasters of flowbastards....even though about half of us are currently using them (or plan on it, as soon as the Camaro is running).

- Justin

BUT.

Right.....much better description of what I was trying to get at.

- Justin