is it possible to hook up a turbo in a 2.8 cutlass if so

stlunatics2oo3

Guest TurboSedan

i would start with a 3.1 since they are bigger and more common. to turbo a 2.8/3.1 the easiest would be to start with TPG parts. that way the entire project could be completely bolt on. the MAIN parts you would need are:

TGP rear (firewall side) exhaust manifold (or weld up the outlet on yours)

TGP crossover (or have a custom one made up)

TGP T-25 Turbo (unless you have a T3 flange put on your crossover)

TGP downpipe for T-25, or custom downpipe if you use a T3 turbo

TGP Intercooler and all associated plumbing unless you use a custom front mount

TGP Radiator if you use the TGP intercooler

TGP PROM or a custom TGP PROM

other stuff would include a 2-BAR MAP sensor, wastegate solenoid or other boost controller, a better fuel pump, a better oil pump, and i'd recommend a DSM 1g BOV, an air/fuel gauge, boost gauge, and last but most importantly, a STRONG shortblock with good rings, bearings, and gaskets. and if you build up a shortblock you may as well get lower comp pistons so you can crank up the boost.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

well, TGP parts can be gotten for fairly cheap, it just takes some patience and money. look around on the forums and ebay. some people think that the best way is to get a whole car or at least a complete TGP engine but i have had good luck getting things seperately from various sources. i am doing a turbo conversion on my '91 CS and have gotten all the turbo-specific parts from various sources. the 1st part i got was the TGP exhaust manifolds (altho only the rear is needed). i got those for $50 shipped from a guy on the 60'V6 forum. then i got my 1st TGP Intercooler for $76 + shipping on ebay, and it is a *very* nice condition intercooler but didn't include any of the plumbing. next i got the TGP Radiator, Radiator/Intercooler mounting 'hat', both TGP electric fans, the TGP ECM, and the TGP crossover for $210 from someone on this forum. the person that i bought that stuff from didn't pack the stuff well at all (basically threw everything together in the box with a couple of newspapers), and the radiator got 7 tubes smashed wide open in shipping (costs at least $200 to recore). also the intercooler fan motor was all locked up with crap and blown (a $110 part from the dealership). the seller was kind enough to refund me $100. next i got a DSM 1g BOV for $5 from a salvage yard. just this week i bought *another* TGP intercooler from ebay and this one included all plumbing for $95 + shipping. so for what i have gotten, i've spent a grand total of $356 and that includes what i paid for shipping and i have an extra TGP intercooler (actually it's still in transit). good luck, have patience, have money, have knowledge of what your getting into before you start tearing you car apart.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

if you want to make money on the stuff, i would probably sell the stuff as a complete turbo 'kit' if you can. most people don't want to mess around with buying the stuff seperately. on the other hand, there are plenty of people out there with only 1 or 2 TGP parts that can't sell a kit, and can only sell that 1 part to a TGP owner who needs a replacement, or a person like me doing a conversion for relatively cheap. GN parts probably do bring in more money. the Turbo Regal crowd is probably huge compared to the TGP crowd and demand for those parts is probably pretty high. it seems like every Turbo T, T-Type or GN on ebay goes for at least 3-5 grand, whereas a TGP might go for 1200. i would MUCH rather drive a w-body than an old G-body (i own both). .....although if i actually owned a TR than i suppose i wouldn't think that way :)

joshua

yeah, thats what I'm really debating now. I don't want to sit on the stuff forever, and when someone needs something its nice to have it, both to help out the person in need and get some cash for all the junk I have in my garage.

My biggest problem is HOW to sell the stuff. Mostly the engine stuff as I have a complete running motor with harness (hell I could probably fire the thing up on my garge floor if I hooked it up to a battery). I don't want to start pecking parts off of it and then find someone who wants a drop in motor for something. What a crap shoot. Ugh! It just seems that what the "rare" TGP stuff should be worth when compared to other turbo cars I deal with it just doesn't seem to be the case, especially with the prices you got on your stuff. I would figure it would be fairly valuable with the number of guys I see who want to turbo their 3.1/2.8/3x00.

Hmm, turbo kit. I like that idea. We'll see! :twisted:

Chris

If your parts are worthless then that means you'll cut the price on that radiator? :roll: I didn't think so! j/k I do still want it though.

I'm gonna have an open garage sale in a month. $5 an item! That should clear it out! Before you all line up at my door, i'm not serious.

Guest Anonymous

Good damn thing I scrolled over and read the whole post. I already had my keys in my hand. :lol:

$5 an item? I'll take everything including the cars sitting in the garage! :wink:

What kind of price would you ask for the complete motor? You can PM me if you want. I have another ? for you anyway.