Ported Mass Air Flow and Throttle Body

godofthunder

Be careful about porting/modifing the MAF. It is calibrated to flow a certain amount of air. Once you make it flow better, you change how it can accurately meter the incoming air. The air flows over a heated resistor and the MAF measures how much voltage needed to keep that resistor a certain temperature. When you make it flow better than it expects, it takes less voltage to keep the resistor the correct temp, and it sends to wrong signal to the PCM.

And don't remove that screen in there either. That screen equalizes the air so it flows over the resistor evenly. When it is removed, bad things happen. You gain nothing by removing it too. I've done it.

As for the TB, you can send it to a place called RSM (http://www.rsmracing.com) and they will bore it out and install a larger plate. According to their website, they only do 3.4l DOHC TBs, but they should be able to do it to your 3100 TB...you'll have to email them about it.

Jason

Thanks. I saw a link on some post in this forum the other day. It had a bunch of guys porting a Mass Air Flow sensor on their camaros and firebirds. Ahhh. i cant find the post!!!

They cut off the metal 'wings' in there, didnt mess with the wires on the black thing.

Anyone know what post im talking about?

Jon

Um, beter yet, I dont think i am going to do it. I was looking arround on the Net and found a bunch of neg. about it. Mainly to much work. You could end up running to lean, and mess up the motor.

Oh well

jon

• 3 weeks later...

I have to disagree...I have the honey comb thing removed and immeadiately noticed a gain in throttle response and over all exceleration. The maf is very easy to port yourself just make sure you take it apart...a lean condition from a mildly ported maf is non existent...it only happens if you touch the coils in the maf. Another thing you can do is move it close to the tb, it will improve overall perfoprmance by tricking the pcm to think more air is moving through it...more air means more fuel. Just for the record, on later dohc 3.4 models the tb is molded into the upper intake and porting and polish requires the whole assembally to be shipped. With the mods i have i run low 15s...for about 40 bucks and a couple of hours :wink: My car also has 160 thousand miles, a disfuctioanl overdrive, a bad lifter tap, and the ses light hase been on the scince the 120 thousand mile mark :D I also pull a good 3 car lengths on intake/exhaust/chpipped 2002 grand am Gt's.