Oil on threads

GrandPrix34

Oil on the "threads" won't but oil on the electrodes definitely will. If the electrodes are clean it's possible you have oil leaking onto the plugs from an external source such as a valve cover. It will seep into the threads if it's been on there very long. Makes 'em easier to get out though doesn't it ? :wink: If you aren't using excessive oil or smoking I'd start looking for a leak at the valve cover first.

I'm guessing since you have oil on your plug threads and you also have a DOHC, your valve covers are leaking at the spark plug boot holes, running down the heads, and saturating your plugs. If it's causing you misfire at all it's because the oil is in your plug boots. As long as your plug boots are dry I'd say coat the terminals with dielectric and replace your valve cover gaskets.

I'm guessing since you have oil on your plug threads and you also have a DOHC, your valve covers are leaking at the spark plug boot holes, running down the heads, and saturating your plugs. If it's causing you misfire at all it's because the oil is in your plug boots. As long as your plug boots are dry I'd say coat the terminals with dielectric and replace your valve cover gaskets.

Damn Alzheimer's ! I should have thought of that, oil on the boots sure would do it.