catalitic converter advice?

cutlassconvertible

WHats up guys. well im getting ready to start putting together my exhaust system. But im gonna need a little advice. My goal is to get the most power and still keep it as quiet as possible (thats right, i said quiet, and no im not crazy). so starting with the high flow cat does anyone know which one is the quitest, or quiter. i have my eye on the carsound one, but i dont know how loud it is.

P.S. can someone give me a better explanaition of what a resonator is? does that make it louder (or quiter) or does it just kinda smooth out the sound. also exactly where does it go

As far as the catalytic converter is concerned, I've heard a few exhaust systems with high flow cats and certain mufflers that are very quiet. My 90 TGP has a magnaflow(they make the carsound cats) high-flow cat and a resonator on it(no mufflers) and it's fairly quiet, it has a low growl to it and it's actually louder inside the car than out. Outside it's only audible at idle and at slight throttle. I'd say try a high flow cat and your choice of high flowing quiet mufflers before spending money on a resonator. A resonator cancels certain sound frequencies and amplifies others for a smoother tone. A resonator will quieten down you exhaust to some extent..but like I said, I would try without one to begin with to save money.

Thanx for the advice guys! I see that the flowmaster 50 series muffler is supposed to be high performance yet still keep it quiet. so it looks like thats the one im gonna go with. Now i just need to decide on the cat. what exactly makes one different from the other? and if i put a quiet muffler on, does it even make a difference which cat i go with?

Hey, if im not upgrading the pipe size can I keep my existing factory pipe, and still add the new cat and muffler?

what would be the advantages of getting the new pipe verse the disadvantage of keeping my old one?

And last but not least, does anyone make a "ready to order" replacemnet pipe (from cat to muffler) for my cutlass convertible body, or would i have to get one custom made? I see jbodyperformance has a stainless mandrel bent pipe, but its not to clear if that will work for the cutlass or its only the j bodies.

One thing to consider before getting a 50 series muffler is the size of the casing, it's large as hell and likely won't fit too well(or the way you want it to..I have a muffler w/ the same sized casing on my 93 Grand Prix..although, I have mine mounted where the cat was and it hangs about 1-2'' lower than the stock cat did...since you're going with a cat, you're going to be hard pressed to find a decent mounting location for that muffler). Dynomax straight-through mufflers are pretty quiet(not the bullet, but the other available ones..Ultraflow, etc..). About replacing the piping, you might want to go with slightly larger piping for a bit more flow and to accomodate future upgrades. What engine do you have in you Cutlass anyways(year?)?

EDIT: Any decent exhaust shop can bend you some new/larger piping in the stock fashion, if you can afford it, go with mandrel bent piping..but it's not a necessity..you won't outflow the stock exhaust at nearly stock power levels anyways..I would imagine it flows better than most think it does.

yeah sorry ive got the 94 cutlass convertible body. i think i should have plenty of room back there, but thanx for the advice. its definitely something to think about. plus alot of the guys were saying that they put the 40 series mufflers on, and i didnt compare sizes, but i thought the 40's and 50's are the same except for the sound.

your info has been very helpful so far, and i dont mean to be rude but you didnt explain about the cats. does it make a difference which cat i put on??

yeah sorry ive got the 94 cutlass convertible body. i think i should have plenty of room back there, but thanx for the advice. its definitely something to think about. plus alot of the guys were saying that they put the 40 series mufflers on, and i didnt compare sizes, but i thought the 40's and 50's are the same except for the sound.

your info has been very helpful so far, and i dont mean to be rude but you didnt explain about the cats. does it make a difference which cat i put on??

As far as sound goes, I doubt it makes a difference what high-flow unit you go with, all of them are fairly quiet coupled with mufflers..with no mufflers at all, they might be on the loud side though. :wink: I'm speaking from what others have said on the 50series mufflers, there isn't as much room as you think is back there(measure your stock mufflers and then look at them in relation to everything else back there..ie: gas tank, etc.), the 50 series is 4'' longer than the 40's so it's hard to squeeze aftermarket tips and all under the car and make them fit right w/ the larger mufflers.....some have put these on, but I believe most didn't like the fitment due to the tips sticking out too far or having to hang the mufflers lower.

Carsound cats fail, a lot. Ive seen a bunch that go within the first 6 months of use. I ran a stock cat, no cat and a catco cat, no cat only made the mufflers a tad louder, the catco quited it down a little bit louder then stock. IMO, cat doesnt really have much to do with noise.

-Jeff