Engine Popping

Like2Play

:( Here's what it's doing. At idle, it sounds like a plug is missing, like it's blowing air. When I rev it, it turns to a popping sound that increases as the rpms increase. I've felt around trying to feel airflow, and tried to give it a good listen, but all I can say for sure is it's on the back side (of course) of the motor. Any ideas?? TIA.

I had carbon buildup on an intake valve that siezed it up... this was the result of a plug wire open... don't know if this will help but try a compression test... post your results... and remember to squirt oil in the plug hole after you find low compression... see if you get any improvement.

-jheiv

what kind of car/engine? And what do you mean by popping?? My motor (3.1 turbo) made a popping sound when I had a cam lobe blow off. Could be something with a valve like mentioned above. Give some more details on your car and the symptoms. You can also try a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the noise. If its a cam lobe the noise will be extremely loud with pre-throttle body intake hoses/piping removed.

if it's loud pinging like noise

you might want to check the psi if it's a turbo

or check the compression i assume for N/A

cause that's a sign of detenation...that can destroy your pistions

Sorry for being so vague. I have a 96 GP SE with a 3.1. I started doing a compression test tonight to verify suspicions. I got 2 and 4 done, with 150 psi. I was thinking cool, this will work, then I got to 6, which had 150, but would leak down fairly quickly (5-6 seconds). This isn't good. I did 1, and it leaked down as well, and when I got to 3, I couldn't get 90 psi out of it. No need to do 5, since when I was underneath of it, I finally saw evidence of blowby. Further investigations tonight confirmed suspicions of a bad head gasket on the back bank. I had a feeling, but could never get to feeling around in the right spot. At least now I know what to do.

Thanks to everyone..

If you need any advice on the head gasket when you start the job (if you do it yourself), PM me on the board here. Unfortunately I've had a good amount of experience with the heads off and on as of late. If you are fairly mechanically inclined the job is not that difficult. Dale.

Thanks, I'll pm you if I get stuck. I wish I would have found this board when I was rebuilding the 3.1 for my Lumina. Would have made things a lot easier, I'm sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got it started,, got the intake off last night, the only things left are the exhaust manifolds and the heads themselves. What a PITA this is. :?

• 3 weeks later...