3.4 4 valve per cyl heads

gp90se

Just wondering if its possible to put 3.4 4 valve per cyl heads on a 3.1 block using the 1 cam inside the block, the 3.1 lower and upper intakes.

-Jeff

Not sure what exactly what your trying to explain.. but let me take a stab at this

you have a 3.1 and you want to slap 3.4dohc heads on it?

if so then no you cant do that without some major modifications..

what you can do is put 3400 sohc? heads on the 3.1 i hear thats much easier i think.. do a quick search onit

I think the block itself is the same basically - the 3.4 was modded though for oil passages and such, but just from looking at it looks like everything else is different. You might be able to convert a 3.1 into a 3.4 DOHC, but it would be a hell of a lot of work and would be easier/cheaper/better to just swap in a real 3.4

damn you! you beat me to it

I already have a (soon 2 be) 3.4 car....

I know the waterjackets dont match up exactly, but Id like to know what needs to modifyed to make 3.4 heads work on 3.1.

-Jeff

The 3.1 and 3.4 DOHC blocks are completely different from one another. The 3.4 has a oil distribution cover were the lifter bosses would be for the 3.1.

They both have the distributor oil drive setup. The DOHC block is reinforced better than the pushrods because of the lack of lifter bores in the middle. They have the same head bolt pattern but thats about it. You can physically bolt them to the block and thats as far as you will get.