Spark plug Wires to Close?

maybe2fast

So I look under the hood last night (boy when it gets warm it needs a bath under there) any who the plug wires were touching the alternator rather than go under neath it (the 3.1) I have been haveing a weird problem when I get on it and hit 5,000 every time the motor looses power and light dim but only when its up there never underneath 5,000????? Could the wires be the problem?? Or maybe the plug on the alternator is messed up? Any ideas!

Thankz Guyz

Don

Yah so I used the slack in the wires to move them as far from the alt. as possible and the no difference The alt. light still blinks when the car hits 5,000 rpm. Now I know people are going to say "then don't take it up there" or "the car should not be taken up there anyways so why bother" I want my car in total working order and if I find the need to take it up there then I want it working right. The cars acceleration dies off to when the light comes on and the lights dim.?????? wtf!

Sounds like you have a bad voltage regulator, if I remember correct it is internal to the alt. Do the lights pulse all the time of just get worse at high revs?

My vote is the serpentine belt may be slipping at that high rpm. When mine gets wet (like driving through deep puddle) and it slips my ALT light comes on..

The lights pulsating shows that there is a wave in the DC voltage. Having a slipping belt would be more apt to cause the lights to dim out until the belt caught.

thanks guys I replaced the belt alternator and battery all at the same time so it may be the belt but the lights pulse especally when the sub hits but when the engine hits 5,000 the whole car looses power majorly, a major dim when it is up in the rpms nothing cloose to when the system hits.

Make sure the belt tensioner bolt is not loose or the belt tensioner maybe in need of replacement.

You might want to put a capacitor across the sub to give it constant supply of voltage and minimize sudden drain of the voltage when the sub hits.

i bought a rebuilt alternator for my car, 3.1, and it did the same thing, its your alternator, you should have at least a year warranty on it for a rebuild, go exchange it, i bet it fixes your problem