turbo 3800 series 1 (L27)

ZeroDCX

Matter of fact I don't, but I can probably goto the yard sometime and get one. They look alot like the GN upper plenum. (Probably should just buy it while I'm there) I have even seen some of them w/ the power 6 emblem in the middle. 8)

EDIT: A quick search on google makes it to look like 94 and possibly 93 (92 def. was metal) were plastic, and earlier were metal. So, there's your answer.

wow god910, you got the complete L36 engine for $200!? ... where did you get it at ... everyone around here (the junkyards) want the L36 engine for $1,432 with 86K miles and for the L67 i can get it for $535 with 56K miles.

A guy I used to work w/ at the Chrysler D-ship pulled it outta his sister in laws car. The infamous plastic plenum took a shit and hydro'd a cylinder. It's still ran, just really crappy. I've already made my money back when I put the injectors in the TGP. 8) :wink: I've got the block down to rotating assy. Then I ran into a problem. I couldn't figure out why the main caps wouldn't come off. So, I asked a couple people and that's when I was explained they have CROSS BOLTED MAINS!!!! This engine really has alot of things tossed in when they decided to use the same blocks as the SC version. Making this one helluva block. I'm even thinking of making a sheetmetal intake (Like Intense did) so I can have the intake enter on the passenger side, or the top, right out the hood. That will free up alot of room on the drivers side for a turbo. It sucks because I had alot of my planning done before I had even heard about the Intense Turbo GP, but now it will just look like I am stealing some of there ideas. (Which, I'm sure they won't care, because I will never be able to afford to go as fast as they are.)

...you'd want to use either an L67, or an L36 with some L67 parts (pistons, heads, etc.) and run about 15psi.

Not trying to bust your chops here, but I don't want misinformation passed around. You, DO NOT, want L67 heads. They have injector bosses cast into them. You will have to fill the injector bosses in either the heads or intake. I know alot about a L36 Turbo because I'm building one. I'm using an L36 block & heads, and L27 upper intake (it's metal, L36 is plastic, and the common reason those are in the junkyard, and the reason I got my COMPLETE engine for $200, I'm also scared about threading N2O fogger nozzles into plastic, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me :shock: Worried that high manifold pressure, mixed w/ heat would blow them out), and the rotating assy. from an L67. I talked to the guys at Intense and they are using stock L67 rods in all their motors, and he told me I will never make more power than they can handle (Yup, even in their 10 sec. Turbo GP) If anyone has any other q's lemme know. I have looked into this quite a bit. 8)

Jay, do you happen to have a picture of this "metal" L27 intake? The one on my parents 94 Regal looks to be made of the same plastic as L36 intake.

My 91 L27 intake is aluminum or alloy :roll: The LN3-C was alloy and the LG3-3 was alloy. The old LG3-3 and TR engines were the off center crank so no way will the manifolds bolt to a LN3-C, L27 or L36. I dont know if the C,27 and 36 are interchanbable. But yes the L27 was aluminum painted aluminum, looks like plastic but isnt.

Some of the bonnevilles guys have said they thought the best way to turbo a L67 was gut the blower and go with it. Makes since. Then there was the thought of turbo before the blower = HEAT, might not make since.

Low boost, low RPM's on L27 would be fine for great road driver, get carried away and by-by engine.

I wouldnt give more than 200 for a L36 in a j yard, you know its there because it got "coolant injection". Thats a high compression engine too so boost and high compression dont mix.

I cant beleive no one has made for production a upper intake to replace the SC on the L67 for turbo. No demand I supppose.

You dont offer at any yards I know of. You pay their price or leave empty handed. Watch engines on E-bay , its the best place to get an idea. L67 go for 1000 or 1200 up to maybe 2500. Full drivetrains with trans seem to be from 15-1800 and up. L67 swap is an expensive undertaking, you need way more than the engine. Some come with harness but hardly see anyone sell with harness and ECM. Doing a high power engine with out the HD tranny would be more wasted money. Continous pounding from a stock L67 will waste a HD as it is.

I dont know how many people know about this, but I remember reading a back issue of Car and Driver (From Feb. or Mar of 1990?! I was reading it because they were testing a 91 Z34) There was a full page ad about a turbo kit from a company called AVC for GM's 87-90/91 FWD 3.8s.. They tested it in a 1989 Boneville SSE w/ the 3800.. I was going to do that when I was driving my Olds 88.. I got the Lumina after an engine noise developed, and someone stole $3000 worth of audio equipment.. Just thought Id throw this out.. I will try and find the ad (I tore it out) and scan it in if y'all want it :wink:

That'd be great, we have heard rumor and seen one picture of this turbo set up before but knew nothing about it. Wonder where to get a copy of that mag. Are you saying it was just a one page advertisement ? Or a small artical?

Ill try.. It was a full article.. CD tested it.. I believe it had the company's phone number.. The title was something like "Life for GM's aging V6?" I will start looking!

While you guys are hunting articles, can anyone remember(or happen to have a bookmark) to the site where the guy w/ the early 90's supercharged Bonneville was running 12's using the original supercharged 3800 w/ custom modifications. I found this article about a year ago on the internet and haven't had any luck tracking it down again.