What's this noise?

luminator94

Aight, on my 94 Lumina when I start her up about 10 seconds afterwards, there is a weird "thump" and I can feel something hit the floorboard right about under my feet. I don't know if it might be the exhaust or what? I would think that if it were the exhaust it would make the noise right upon start up. Anyone have any ideas? Its the 3.1L. Thanks in advance.

Aaron

I actually thing that is one of the "Freek" things the 4t-60e does, along with the "growl", "shudder in neutral" ect...... my sister's 92 GP le did that for the longest time untill I serviced her tranz "Fliter n' flush"..... I dont thing exaust would do that, but then again, I also didnt thing my 1989 dodge daytona would live to see 200,000 miles.... lol "It died @ 200,035 buy throwing a rod"

But it does this in park, not neutral or drive. I guess it will just be one of things I'll ignore for now. But believe it or not, the car has 115,000 on it now and it still has the original exhaust, even the muffler. I'm gonna be looking at a new exhaust soon probly, I want to know what I can get for a good sounding muffler? Something that sounds sporty, but yet muscular.

Aaron

Get a Dynomaxx Turbo muffler, I have 2 in the dual set-up. People always ask me if I have a V-8, when it's a silly ricer I just tell them yeah I did a Caddy 4.9 Swap. Those silly ricers always believe it.

But seriously that is the best sounding muffler I have ever had on my car. Funny thing tho', They only sound really deep after my engine is up to regular runnin' temp, when it's cold they sound like an old v-6 Camaro.

But it does this in park, not neutral or drive. I guess it will just be one of things I'll ignore for now. But believe it or not, the car has 115,000 on it now and it still has the original exhaust, even the muffler. I'm gonna be looking at a new exhaust soon probly, I want to know what I can get for a good sounding muffler? Something that sounds sporty, but yet muscular.

My '89 Cutlass has the original exhaust @ 198k miles!

Even the muffler!

my 91 GP lived to 204k with all original exhaust. well actually it sat around for 3 months before it switched hands to me and the muffler made the rotting eggs smell for the first week i had it, then completley went away

I hate that smell.....I think it has something to do with old gas....my car smells like that every spring acctualy it smelled like that yesterday when I started her for the first time in over a month.....Grrr.....it smoked for about 20 mins too.....then the smoke went and so did the smell

Doesnt that usually mean the Cat is about to go or cracked. Thats what my dad told me (he is a GM master Tech).

dodge makes shitty ones....and my GF had to replace hers the first week we had the truck (it only had like 20 miles, and needed to be in the shop!). I h ave also smelt it in my moms 02 Intrepid.

Rotten Eggs smell is actually sulfer

jon

I find that is mostly true but it also has to do with the gas you use and if its old too.....if the smell is always there then yes the cat is going....

also if you smell it when fallowing the car and you hit it....then the smell is there its also going bad.....

not if it goes away after Running or when you use different gas...

I know when I use gas at the station intown here it makes my car run like a$$ and stinks to High heaven.....but if I go to Holiday and get gas no smell and the car runs Great.....

I know I use 91 non oxegenated from both stations and when I confronted the station maniger intown they say its because of the alcohal in the gas....then I tell them I used 91non oxegenated.... they say well must be because you where using someone elses gas before....

and i told them well my car runs like ass when I use your gas.....yet any other stations gas make my car run 100x better then yours....why is that?? then they say it must be my car....I say okay but why is it okay on holiday gas...?? they could not answare.....

what I think they are doing is using regular 90 octaine in there gas and calling it 91 non oxegenated.......but that alcohal makes my car run like ass.......of course it could be they have 1 hose for 4 grades....hmm never thought of that......but still you add $25 to your car you would think that that little bit would matter in a tank full.......

all I know is I HATE LUCK7 gas.........even when I add octaine booster or seafoam doesnt matter still runs like ass on that gas....acctually any station with edwards oil gas make my ste run like ass but yet the mazda loves the gas....go figure......POS gas for a POS car LOL....

I used to run 93 in my cutlass when i first got it. I remember when my mom had her Lumina in 91 built for her, it had the 3.1 and they told her to use exxon/texaco/amaco, and only 93. So I stuck with that having the 3100.

Now i droped down to 89 (premium). Get a few less miles to the tank, but no differ. in performace.

I know all about cheap gas. Debs (the GF) has that 2001 Dakota Sport from dodge. Well, the Magnum engine in hers 9the 3,9 v6) runs BEST at 87 oct. They also told her to use 'name brand' gas. On the way to my old college (GMU) we went by an old Texaco in fredricksburg VA. Thetruck ran like crap. Funny, the place was closed down the next week :).

My parrents run crappy gas in the intrepid...thats why it stinks.

Jon