pulsation in brakes

Guest RedCutlassSL

On my old car I had the same problem and it was a warped rotor. To find the one causing it I jacked the car up so one by one each tire was in the air a bit, then spun the tire and watched and listened. Usually a warped rotor will rub slightly when the tire is freely spinning, so when the one with the bad rotor was spun I could her it rub and the tire stopped spinning quickly. (You need to have the car in neutral to check the front, and you should block the rear tires off when jacking up the front so the car won't roll)

Most likely if the steering wheel vibrates, then the problem is up front.

Personally I would not turn just one rotor without turning the opposite. The same goes with replacing them.... just replace them both...

I have a `94 and the brakes have been nothing but trouble. I have done the fronts three times in the last two years, warping has been trouble for the front. First time because of stuck calipers, second was inferior parts, so far the third time has been good after turning new rotors just after they warped during break-in.

BRAKE DUST in the biggest give-a-way to this problem. Wheels that look like shit a week after you wash them.

And do both, front and rear need to be serviced as pairs, if you do any different God be with you and the with the everyone in front of you.

I don't think there is a way to tell exactly which rotor is warped, but you can distinguish the fronts from the backs pretty easily. First, go somewhere where traffic isn't a problem. Get up to about 20 mph or so then set your parking brake such that breaking occurs but the rears ARE NOT locked up. If the car still pulsates its the rear rotors that are shot, if not its your fronts. Since you have to replace (resurface) rotors in pairs that should be as much info as you really need to determine which rotors need replacing/refinishing.