Does anyone know the steering ratio of 88-96 grand prixs?

GranPrix

Go to solution Solved by 55trucker,

I know that 97-03 has a 15:1 steering ratio, and the 04-08 has a 13.2:1 steering ratio, my 95 grand prix's steering feels lighter than an 04 grand prix steering does, does anyone know what steering ratio the 88-96 cars have? If no one knows what the specific ratio is, does anyone know if it is a higher or lower ratio than the 97-03 cars? 

Why start ANOTHER thread on essentially the same topic?

https://www.w-body.com/topic/58234-swapping-gtp-ps-pump-into-an-se/#comment-1305825

Perhaps a moderator will combine the two threads.

Far as I know, there's AT LEAST two distinct power steering racks for the first generation cars--the ordinary rack for mom and gramma, and the rack that came in the Z34/Euro 3.4 cars and no doubt the equivalent cars from the other divisions--faster ratio and/or less assist/stiffer steering.

Edited by Schurkey

In this thread I am asking if anyone knows the ratio for the rack. I can't find it anywhere online. I know there are two racks, but not the ratio for each of them, I need to know which one is the highest ratio in all of the modern grand prixs (1988-2008) so i can decide if I should retrofit my rack with different parts, or swap it out with a different one. Thanks!

Do you know anyone selling "retrofit" parts for a steering rack?

Kinda guessing there's no such thing as individual parts for the racks aside from seals and boots.  So I'd expect you're going to have to swap it with a different rack...and "good luck" finding the fast ratio/higher-effort units.  I looked for the fast ratio rack for my '93, and after ten years I found ONE, and the guy had it priced like it was gold.

The "highest ratio" or tightest steering racks offered were, as far as I understand the Turbo Grand Prix ones but at this point without proof I would be hesitant to even say that much despite going out of my way to put one in my Z34 back in the day. 

• Solution

To the best of my knowledge there are 5 different racks available for the 1st gen cars (concentrating on GP's)

the basic rack is 3 turns lock to lock

optional racks are

2.75 turns lock to lock

2.6 turns lock to lock

2.4 turns lock to lock

the *fast* rack is 2.25 turns lock to lock

depending on what your cars year & options are will dictate what rack is installed

for example... the rack in my '91 GT is the 2.4 rack

Edited by 55trucker
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 1:55 AM, Schurkey said:

Do you know anyone selling "retrofit" parts for a steering rack?

Kinda guessing there's no such thing as individual parts for the racks aside from seals and boots.  So I'd expect you're going to have to swap it with a different rack...and "good luck" finding the fast ratio/higher-effort units.  I looked for the fast ratio rack for my '93, and after ten years I found ONE, and the guy had it priced like it was gold.

There are a few GTPs for parts on marketplace where I live. maybe i was thinking they would have a faster rack than an SE would, but idk. I asked one dude how much for the rack and he said $100 sooo.

if a GP from the 90s has the same ratio as a GP from 2004+, why does the 2004 feel so much heavier? Magnasteer maybe? In both cars the power steering is working fine. I was just shocked to discover that they feel so different considering the w-body didnt change too much mechanically over its lifetime.

image.png.8380f915bc48b714ac237707d693c096.png

I can say that there are 2 different part #'s for the steering racks in my cars.

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International Series coupe with the LQ1/automatic.  26044830

1993 Pontiac Grand Prix STE with the LQ1/automatic.  26046139.

Sorry that I can't answer what ration these are though.