New Member With 1991 Royal 88

MrMarty51

I am new to the 3800 world. Also a new member of this forum.

A real nice couple that lived a couple blocks from My house was getting ready to make a move to another state. They could not take the car with them but they also did not want to sink any money into it.

Oil leaks, transmission cooler line leaks, in general just needs a good seal up job.

The car had been garaged most all of its life. Other than s couple small parking lot door dings the body is very straight.

This car belonged to the gals dad and He kept it garaged, He passed on to Heaven, His daughter inherited the car and she also kept it garaged. I dont have a shelter to park the car in but I will be working on something to get it in, even if it is just a solid roof cover.

I’m retired from being a mechanic for the Montana DOT so I do know some about how to handle a wrench . I do not know it all and so I’m reaching out for some help.

Trips the SES lamp. Code 23 and code 41.

Dismantling components to get to the CPS.

IMG_8577.jpeg.08c64d7cc09f332e63e1d4cd5f6768ae.jpeg

Got it down this far then something I have never seen before.

Funny looking barrel clips around the studs that holds on this debris shield.

I found out it was called a debris shield by searching and reading the thread about installing a new CPS.

It didnt explain how to get these barrel clips to budge. 😹

IMG_8576.jpeg.6ea92b9fe149314bd39d1cd2c0fc017a.jpeg

The engine has a great plenty of oil leaks but I want to get it so that it is dependable before I tear into removing the intake manifold and any other suspected areas of leakage. 😹

Thank You in advance for any help that is supplied.

• Like 2

Welcome to the site. This isn't a w-body, but a lot of stuff is the same in this era of GM. 

Code 23 is for the Intake air temp sensor located on or near the air cleaner. Either wiring issue, sensor failure, or not plugged in or grounded correctly. 

Code 41 is for the throttle position sensor. Could be open or shorted. Would need to verify with a multimeter. 

48 minutes ago, 94 olds vert said:

Welcome to the site. This isn't a w-body, but a lot of stuff is the same in this era of GM. 

Code 23 is for the Intake air temp sensor located on or near the air cleaner. Either wiring issue, sensor failure, or not plugged in or grounded correctly. 

Code 41 is for the throttle position sensor. Could be open or shorted. Would need to verify with a multimeter. 

Thats odd. Every thing I find points to the CPS, it might also be a wiring fault or the ignition control module.

Anyhow, I do apologize. I was thinking that the W body would cover the model 88 Oldsmobiles too.

I am not familiar with the alphabit code of the various models of GM vehicles.

I will do some research and kindly bow out of this forum.

Nate:

excuse my muscling in, in the case of the Code 41...that will be the cam sensor trouble code for the vehicles equipped with the 3800 engines & only the 3800 engines in an OBD1 environment.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 2:48 PM, MrMarty51 said:

Thats odd. Every thing I find points to the CPS, it might also be a wiring fault or the ignition control module.

Anyhow, I do apologize. I was thinking that the W body would cover the model 88 Oldsmobiles too.

I am not familiar with the alphabit code of the various models of GM vehicles.

I will do some research and kindly bow out of this forum.

No need to leave.  There is a section for other cars.  I can't speak for everyone, but I don't mind.  There aren't many of any GM FWD's from this era left on the road.

• Like 3

For real, feel free to stick around. I mean if you can find a dedicated early H car forum by all means but given that community wasn't exactly active 15 years ago and that this one is well past its heyday feel free to stick around most of the information you'd be looking for crosses over.

• Like 2