Rarebee

Rarebee

94 cutlass convertible. Inherited. Keep it or sale? Top needs replaced. Has an oil leak but over all cars in pretty good shape. It would just be a play toy. Worth restoration or sell? Not seeing parts being readily available? 

If it's a car that was bought new and kept in the family then I would consider it one to hold onto. Not too often when you get a car as unique as a Cutlass 'vert these days ether.

Others on here that have owned one of these would be able to chime in on parts availability and workarounds for the car. It was a unique model to have been built on the W chassis.

If you keep it then order one of the big service manuals first, easily found on ebay.

The top can be replaced by a dedicated company, a few options from cloth to canvas are still available. I would budget about $1500-$2k depending on material. StayFast canvas being at the higher end of things.

Hard parts can be sourced from junkyards but the seals and weather stripping are hard to come by. I`d advise you to treat them with the right silicon rubber conditioner ASAP whether you keep it or not.

What engine does it have in it and how many miles? the 3100s are a bit easier to maintain just due to fact its doesnt have a timing belt like the DOHC 3.4 does. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

If you keep it then order one of the big service manuals first, easily found on ebay.

The top can be replaced by a dedicated company, a few options from cloth to canvas are still available. I would budget about $1500-$2k depending on material. StayFast canvas being at the higher end of things.

Hard parts can be sourced from junkyards but the seals and weather stripping are hard to come by. I`d advise you to treat them with the right silicon rubber conditioner ASAP whether you keep it or not.

What engine does it have in it and how many miles? the 3100s are a bit easier to maintain just due to fact its doesnt have a timing belt like the DOHC 3.4 does. 

The F-body window seals are good on the rear quarter windows for these cars. 

RareBee, these cars aren't really worth restoration. But clean examples do seem to be selling for decent amounts these days. If you are looking for a fun car to put the top down these cars are perfect for that. 

15 minutes ago, 94 olds vert said:

The F-body window seals are good on the rear quarter windows for these cars. 

RareBee, these cars aren't really worth restoration. But clean examples do seem to be selling for decent amounts these days. If you are looking for a fun car to put the top down these cars are perfect for that. 

I would want to argue the point of if these cars are worth restoration or not. It may not be worth a whole lot but, it's nice when you see one.

These could be worth keeping in good condition as the years go on. I've been complemented in traffic on 2 different occasions because of the engine in mine. People are starting to remember the W's for whatever reason and people think of the engine when they see mine.

These cars may continue to be a niche enthusiast piece. I don't know. I'm the only one that shows on Saturday nights when I go.

• Like 1