reading codes

6thgengrandprix

does anyone know how to read codes for 1995 pontiac grand prix se's? it is obd 1 style plug but not pinned the same nor is it obd2 i cant figure out how to read codes any help or advise is appreciated

2 hours ago, 6thgengrandprix said:

does anyone know how to read codes for 1995 pontiac grand prix se's? it is obd 1 style plug but not pinned the same nor is it obd2 i cant figure out how to read codes any help or advise is appreciated

1995 Grand Prix is OBD 1.5. You will need a 1.5 OBD reader. Sometimes auto stores might still have these around and will be able to read the code for you. 

"Code Readers" are consumer-grade garbage.  Codes are the BEGINNING of computer diagnosis.

You really should be looking for a genuine "Scan Tool", preferably with bi-directional control.  The data stream is where the real information is.

ANY "real" scan tool will not be bothered by OBD1, "OBD1.5" or OBD2.

1 hour ago, rich_e777 said:

Seems suspicious.  You'd also have to have the correct cartridge and cable for the vehicle you're working on.  The pictures show a GM '84--'95 cartridge, but there's no mention of that being included in the auction.

I`m too trusting of eBay, I just assumed it came with everything in the pic plus the cables since its new.

Those Actron CP9110 with GM carts are the least expensive option I know of for the 1st gen W-bodies. Solus Pro kits have come down a little bit from earlier this year, might be something to keep an eye on for someone.

When it was my money, I bought a Solus Pro having 8.2 software good for '80 1/2--2007.  With numerous accessories--cables, battery and charger, OBD1 connectors, OBD2 connector and personality keys, operator's manuals on DVD, etc.  $350 shipped to my door.  Pricing may be different now.

I've used it for engine, transmission, instrument cluster, ABS issues.  Haven't needed traction control features yet.

Edited by Schurkey
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

As I said...when it's MY money, I'd rather have a used-but-usable "professional grade" scan tool, than a brand-new "consumer-grade" tool.

I have ZERO experience with software + cable + laptop computer solutions, "Bluetooth Dongle" + software + smartphone solutions, or consumer-grade scan tools.  The only scan tools I've worked with for more than twenty years have been Snap-On products, purchased "used" from sellers on eBay.

On 7/19/2023 at 7:43 PM, rich_e777 said:

Still for sale too. This does everything a Solus Pro will on my W-bodies. 

45 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

This does everything a Solus Pro will on my W-bodies. 

Unlikely.

Screen is not big enough to show sensor voltages vs. time as a graph.  Graphing on scan tools is an early-'90s development--lack of graphing in 2023 is pretty lame.

I don't know about it's ability to communicate with ABS, chatter the solenoid valves for proper bleeding, or to provide bi-directional communication with the engine computer or other modules.  Later W-bodies will have instrument cluster, "Stability control", "Air bags", and perhaps additional modules that will need to communicate with a scan tool, I don't know if that one will talk to those modules.

Maybe different software then? I have a Solus Pro current to `08-`10 and it shows the same options for my W-body cars an Actron III would. The ablity to screenshot on a lit screen is the only difference I found for my 1994 CS between the two scan tools. I cannot graph or chart on mine either but can do alot more for other cars. But to be safe you`re probably right to go with the Solus as it`ll talk to things older and much newer vehicles than a`95 Grand Prix.

A few months ago you couldnt even buy a broken unit for a measly $340 bucks. I got one earlier this year, the cheapest used kit guaranteed to work with a case and manual for, alot more.

I have access to two Solus Pro scan tools.

First one has 8.2 software, released in 2008, second quarter.  Second one has 14.2 software, released in 2014, second quarter.  Both go back to 1980 1/2 for GM vehicles, assuming they're used with the correct ALDL adapter.

Both will graph any sensor data, but I have to go into a sub-menu to change from text to graph.

I'm gonna have to get off my lazy asp, and throw a battery in the '92, and then connect the Solus Pro.  I need to diagnose a no-start on that thing anyway.

Edited by Schurkey