89 GP SE Instrument cluster repair 25122113

89SE

The analog tachometer of my 89 Grand Prix SE works, but indicates about 3 times the value it should. The cluster is 25122113. The 3 small gauges seem to be working fine, the speedometer is digital and just fine. I hear the analog gages are a common problem as on TGPs. I also read it is usually caused by a faulty resistor. The tacho does not have a calibration resistor on the Air Core motor itself, but there is one on the circuit board. I live in Europe, so getting a refurbished instrument panel is quite difficult/expensive for a gauge that is strictly speaking not necessary, so I am looking for a cheap and easy fix.

I am not 100% sure yet, but the culprit is most likely to be a calibrated 14 pin ceramic DIP resistor (the white and black on the picture). Since it is not a speedo, calibration is not the most important to me, so if I could get a replacement with about the right values it would be probably a good enough fix. Anyone here has the specs of the resistor?

I have found a replacement for a similar resistor, one for Corvettes: https://batee.com/collections/1990-1996-corvette-parts/products/90-96-analog-calibration-ic-adjustable-preset-for-6k-tach

So if there would be a source for the version used in the Pontiac GP, please post it here!

20230530_203534s.jpg

Edited by 89SE