AC delco oil filters

Dannymik

I have a simple question that I need a answer on. I have the 3100 in my '95 Cutlass and usually use a PF-47 Delco filter when I change my oil. Now my neighbor who was a mechanic at a GM dealer and he told me that they used the PF-52 filters when they changed the oil on the 3.1/3100/3.4 motors. The reason is that the PF-52 is a longer filter which increases the amount of oil you can use by about a 1/3 to 1/2 quart. Has anyone tried this or thought of this? I'm about to change my oil right now before the snow falls for this winter. Any comments are aprreciated :wink:

Yeah, the PF-52C works fine on the 3100's and 3.1's. Some 3.1's actually call for the 52 according to the delco book.

I changed the oil in my mother's car this weekend, and walmart were all out of 47's, but had a ton of 52's, so I just got the 52, and it works fine. It is indeed a good bit bigger.

it flows more oil - plain & simple

theres more filter surface so it requires less pressure to force the oil through. another advantage is that the can catch/hold more contaminents.

it flows more oil - plain & simple

theres more filter surface so it requires less pressure to force the oil through. another advantage is that the can catch/hold more contaminents.

well said! :)

no trying to hijack, just a quick question -

my manual says a pf51 for a '93 3.1 cutty

i can't find a pf51 so i assume a pf52 would be a substitite?

A PF52 is the updated PF51. It'll work out for you.

- Erik

Well, looks like that will be going on my car today, oil change is due.

ummm that's what you should be using anyway... lol, IIRC you have a DOHC... and that's what the book tells you to use anyway :lol:

god don't use that crap...i used the Fram X2 filters before! I use Amsoil Super Duty now. Highly reccomend. We use as many Amsoil products in our cars here at my house as possible. It's good stuff

IF the manufacture wanted to put a higher flow oil filter on the cars, why did they not do it from the factory. ITs not a major amount of money to put a better oil filter from factory.. I know GM cheaps out on alot of things.

Fist thing is, the longer oil filter makes alot of sense because of more flow and the flow characteristics of the bypass valve. Some cars need more oil flow before the bypass valve opens.

What if our cars (Z34) needed just the right size of filter to produce the right amount of oil pressure and to have the valve open at a lower RPM.

Remember our cars have a bad history of the oil seal leaking !!

Not saying the longer filter is a bad thing, that little bit extra should not make a difference. But what If ?

Food for thought !!

Ciao

I have a simple question that I need a answer on. I have the 3100 in my '95 Cutlass and usually use a PF-47 Delco filter when I change my oil. Now my neighbor who was a mechanic at a GM dealer and he told me that they used the PF-52 filters when they changed the oil on the 3.1/3100/3.4 motors. The reason is that the PF-52 is a longer filter which increases the amount of oil you can use by about a 1/3 to 1/2 quart. Has anyone tried this or thought of this? I'm about to change my oil right now before the snow falls for this winter. Any comments are aprreciated :wink:

if it fits, use it. a few years back (ok, 10) the pf 51 was the 'longer filter', the 52 is simply the 51 with a different anti drainback.

caveat: if the motor has the 'straight down' filter boss, the filter may protrude lower or the same as the engine cradle and be exposed to road rocks etc, if you have the stock, no adaptor boss (so it points down at an angle) you should be fine. I use a 52 on my cutlass (98) when I buy the filter. (when the wife does she uses the book and gets the 47)

if it fits, use it. a few years back (ok, 10) the pf 51 was the 'longer filter', the 52 is simply the 51 with a different anti drainback.

caveat: if the motor has the 'straight down' filter boss, the filter may protrude lower or the same as the engine cradle and be exposed to road rocks etc, if you have the stock, no adaptor boss (so it points down at an angle) you should be fine. I use a 52 on my cutlass (98) when I buy the filter. (when the wife does she uses the book and gets the 47)

yeah...the filter points down at an angle and has been fine. Therefore I will stick with the PF-52!