91 Cutlass Vert front end damaged need advice/parts/donor/collector

91 cutlass vert ouch

I gave this car to my son for his 16th birthday, a low mileage example at  75k. In October of 21 he pulled into the roadway and had the front end hit at the left bumper end, impact snapped the bumper off, bent hood, both fenders, fender skirts, snapped the top dog bone engine mounts and just generally made a mess if there is any frame damage I am assuming it is only the rail ends where the bumper attached. Car still runs, is able to move under its own power, but due to cooling fans being broken I will only run it for very short periods. Is this car repairable? Parts sources? Volunteers to restore her? I am in northeast coastal SC. Thanks for advice and direction. I am unable to post a pic for clarification, sorry.

16455513060718972193508569670132.jpg

16455512928123436356188022667803.jpg

16455512720887857078407043266062.jpg

Edited by 91 cutlass vert ouch
Added pics

This is sickening to see but glad your boy is ok.

The rad support on these cars are welded onto the front structures that also mount the frame rails, strut towers, etc.  You'll basically need another donor car or some way to drill out the welds from another car in order to remove the rad support.  The upper rails where the fenders mount to, you'll need have those straightened or cut out and replaced.  In other words, I think it's going to be a lot of work and money.  A front sway hit, (essentially what this is), is not an easy repair.

If you want to have car repaired, I REALLY suggest you get a donor car or have access to a donor car.  Since this has the Sport Package, you'll need another Sport Packaged 90-91 vert or a 88-91 International coupe for the bumper cover, fog lights, (if so equipped).  The hood, front fenders, and header panel can be found with just any old 88-91 coupe, maybe even a 90-91 sedan.  They are not trim level specific.  The really tough parts to find will be the driver's side parking or corner lens as those are unobtainable now unless again, thru a parts car or junkyard one, fog lights and brackets, (again, if so equipped), the lower bumper cover brace, and the bumper cover like I mentioned.  

The engine cradle might have to be straightened as well there on the driver's side depending on how or if it was disturbed.  Again, a parts car will supply all the correct fasteners, clips, bolts, etc and things like the accumulator ball and plastic inner fender pieces, basically anything like plastic lock tabs, broken bolts, screws, and any hardware that was damaged.  The wiring harness that feeds the headlights, turn signals, cruise control items, vacuum stuff, washer bottle pump, will also be useful if the car's original harness was torn or damaged.

If the car was optioned with tranny cooler, that's a hard to find item as well.  The cooler mounts there in the front and might be damaged as well.  Tranny lines to the cooler, horns, etc need to be looked at.  Another big one might be the battery tray since it's a metal part that is welded to the front section.  Anyways, you get the gist.  The dog bone brackets that mount to the motor side will also need to be looked at.

Good luck and here to help.  I have a 91 International coupe so I know what it takes to find parts for these cars.  They're NOT easy to find or readily available.  It may take some time.

Edited by jiggity76

I hate to say it but unless you are willing to go rather far that's a write off.

Whole front end looks swayed to the passenger side by several inches and the front frame horns near the subframe look mashed pretty good

Anything can be fixed but to do it properly you'd be into quite a ton of work. My concern would be it ever tracking straight. I mean once you get all the sheet metal off you'll have enough frame work to contend with. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...