UA-65274002-1 Jump to content

1.5 gen W body swap L36


Recommended Posts

Hello, I have a 1993 chevy lumina with the 3.1 engine mated to a 4l60e transmission. I've seen a lot about swapping a l36 (series 2) 3800 into it. I have a front cradle suspension, engine and transmission from a 99 monte carlo but from what I've seen ill need motor mounts and the ecm from a L27 (90-93) obd1 buick regal and use the harness from the monte Carlo and repin it together to keep it obd1. Id really like someone to help me get a list of all nessisary components and just some detailed general information on how the swap goes together to make this swap happen, thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to rain on your parade, but,

 

if you've got your heart set on a n/a setup why even bother with the L36?

Find a good condition L26 engine, it is the series III version, it has the same stronger bottom end that the L32 engine has, & has the improved engine dampener. 

 

Consider also an alternative...........a late production LA1 (3400) engine swap or even the LX9 (3500).....hp/torque #'s are better than the LH0 engine, much easier swap in than the 3800 swap, and depending on your 4*T*60E trans condition those engines will not blow it up, if I were going to the 3800 I would want to be absolutely sure there is no question that the trans is healthy. Generally speaking if one has the added torque/hp they usually make use of it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LumiGuy1 said:

... the ecm from a L27 (90-93) obd1 buick regal and use the harness from the monte Carlo and repin it together to keep it obd1. 

 Why would you want to keep it OBD1? Especially considering you have everything to do more or less a drop in job with the Engine/Trans/wiring. At worst you may need to either buy into some tuning stuff... not terribly expensive or find someone to send the PCM off to to remove things like VATS/PASSKEY and delete codes for things that won't be there anymore.

 

40 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

if you've got your heart set on a n/a setup why even bother with the L36?

 Probably because he has 90% of what's needed on hand

 

Really The biggest impediments, considering you have it all right on hand is getting class 2 serial communications into the backside of the c100 connector, but thats far from impossible to do.

getting it wired up, and getting fuel to it will probably be the biggest hurdles since the lumina's fuel line fittings won't be in the same place.

I suppose the question really is, how much of the Monte Carlo do you have?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

White93z34. I have the entire 99 monte carlo on hand. And yes I would like to use its motor and tranny, as its got just over 100k on it. my biggest thing is just getting together a detailed list of whats needed and the struggles I could encounter. As for the harness ill probably have my local tuning shop do it all as my friend can give me a deal there. And the fuel lines couldn't i just extend them to the correct spot with minimal issue. Other than that its mainly swap the mounts and move air box and some other misc. Correct. Thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Not to rain on your parade, but,

 

if you've got your heart set on a n/a setup why even bother with the L36?

Find a good condition L26 engine, it is the series III version, it has the same stronger bottom end that the L32 engine has, & has the improved engine dampener. 

 

Consider also an alternative...........a late production LA1 (3400) engine swap or even the LX9 (3500).....hp/torque #'s are better than the LH0 engine, much easier swap in than the 3800 swap, and depending on your 4*T*60E trans condition those engines will not blow it up, if I were going to the 3800 I would want to be absolutely sure there is no question that the trans is healthy. Generally speaking if one has the added torque/hp they usually make use of it. 

 

Once this swap is done as the motor n tranny I have are in very good shape. I would love to get looking into the 3500 swap I have 2 1993 luminas so ones staying a daily till the swaps done then id love to get a ton of info on how to do and how easy that 3500 swap is thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this is just me being loony.

Seems like a giant heap of work to wind up with just another V-6.  Wouldn't it be simpler, easier, and a more-productive use of your time, money, effort, and enthusiasm to buy a car with the bigger engine already in it?  Sell the one(s) you have to offset part of the purchase price.

"I" would much rather fix worn-out brakes, suspension, steering, etc. on a replacement vehicle than to trade engines, wire harnesses, computers, cradles, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schurkey said:

Maybe this is just me being loony.

Seems like a giant heap of work to wind up with just another V-6.  Wouldn't it be simpler, easier, and a more-productive use of your time, money, effort, and enthusiasm to buy a car with the bigger engine already in it?  Sell the one(s) you have to offset part of the purchase price.

"I" would much rather fix worn-out brakes, suspension, steering, etc. on a replacement vehicle than to trade engines, wire harnesses, computers, cradles, etc.

Honestly I have a truck im driving this winter and 2 buicks I also drive. The first one being swapped was my great grandfathers car and he really was excited to do this swap with me n now he unfortunately cannot so id really like help specific to this swap for now (I get theres other methods but this was the plan) and sadly today the head gasket blew on the second lumina so as of today both engines are coming out for winter fun. Still doing my original swap first to complete but always up for another thread on what juicy things to do to the second. Both cars are getting complete overhauls as in paint and interior ect. This is really a passion build for me just need to get all my info together and in the right direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, White93z34 said:

  Why would you want to keep it OBD1? Especially considering you have everything to do more or less a drop in job with the Engine/Trans/wiring. At worst you may need to either buy into some tuning stuff... not terribly expensive or find someone to send the PCM off to to remove things like VATS/PASSKEY and delete codes for things that won't be there anymore.

 

 Probably because he has 90% of what's needed on hand

 

Really The biggest impediments, considering you have it all right on hand is getting class 2 serial communications into the backside of the c100 connector, but thats far from impossible to do.

getting it wired up, and getting fuel to it will probably be the biggest hurdles since the lumina's fuel line fittings won't be in the same place.

I suppose the question really is, how much of the Monte Carlo do you have?

 

If there's an easier way to go obd2 I could go for that so what all do I need and as for tuning I have a guy that does that but I will be doing most of the wiring myself. I have the whole 99 monte carlo just kind of need to know what parts go into the lumina and what needs to be rerouted. Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Different strokes, Back a few years ago I loved doing that work. Now I can barely find the time to do brakes. Far be it from me to judge the why.

I mean, If you have the entire car at hand then its that much easier. If you're keeping AC you already have all of the components to move over and make that work, power steering lines, etc etc etc you already have and will just be off the shelf Monte Carlo parts.

Simply put you will NOT be able to use the 4t65 transmission with OBD1 and honestly I think it would be a bigger pain to go back then to just go to OBD2. 

I think you'll have to find someone to disable VATS in it, but don't quote me on that.

The wiring is *almost* plug and play. you will need to find wiring diagrams for both cars and compare the 93' Lumina C100 connector to the 99' Monte Carlo one. Chances are you'll have to repin the connector a bit to mate to the car side. on the monte carlo you'll need to depin the wire lead for serial class 2 data and chase that back to the ALDL connector so you can wire that in. I forget exactly what all you need there, but basically everything but the actual data wire will be in the existing OBD1 connector. 

I'm basing most of this from years back when we stuffed a 96' 3100/transmission in a 95' car and converted it to OBD2 at that time with a parts car on hand. No 2 swaps are exactly alike.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're actually the 2nd newb to inquire about the 90 degree swap in as many days,

Mattmac2007 recently did an L67 swap into a 1st Gen GTP earlier this year, he more than likely would be the freshest source for info on what has to be done.

He did a thread on the conversion.....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, White93z34 said:

Different strokes, Back a few years ago I loved doing that work. Now I can barely find the time to do brakes. Far be it from me to judge the why.

I mean, If you have the entire car at hand then its that much easier. If you're keeping AC you already have all of the components to move over and make that work, power steering lines, etc etc etc you already have and will just be off the shelf Monte Carlo parts.

Simply put you will NOT be able to use the 4t65 transmission with OBD1 and honestly I think it would be a bigger pain to go back then to just go to OBD2. 

I think you'll have to find someone to disable VATS in it, but don't quote me on that.

The wiring is *almost* plug and play. you will need to find wiring diagrams for both cars and compare the 93' Lumina C100 connector to the 99' Monte Carlo one. Chances are you'll have to repin the connector a bit to mate to the car side. on the monte carlo you'll need to depin the wire lead for serial class 2 data and chase that back to the ALDL connector so you can wire that in. I forget exactly what all you need there, but basically everything but the actual data wire will be in the existing OBD1 connector. 

I'm basing most of this from years back when we stuffed a 96' 3100/transmission in a 95' car and converted it to OBD2 at that time with a parts car on hand. No 2 swaps are exactly alike.

 

Sweet thank you much if I don't really care about AC can I just do a standard ac delete and be fine. So much help hopefully going to have the engine out of the lumina tomorrow then onto the monte!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 55trucker said:

You're actually the 2nd newb to inquire about the 90 degree swap in as many days,

Mattmac2007 recently did an L67 swap into a 1st Gen GTP earlier this year, he more than likely would be the freshest source for info on what has to be done.

He did a thread on the conversion.....

 

thank you will check out tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...