Convertible Latch Stiff to close

sean1991olds

Anyone had this happen, when I go to use the handle - to close and lock down the top it feels like I could break it off. Its not that there is anything getting in the way of the "hook" or not as if the hook is pulling on anything at the point when I go to close it.

I never thought anything of it until I saw the post about the shop breaking a latch from someone here. Just a case of adding some grease or something? While we're at it, what do you use to lube the top mechanisms/joints? Gun oil or something thicker? Someone had said gun oil at one time as it wouldn't gunk up.

Is the mechanism hard to move when the top is lowered, or only when the top is up (closed) and you're trying to latch it?   I'm just wondering if it's the latch itself or the cable tension.  If it's hard to swing the latch when the top is lowered, they you might need to do a little disassembly of the latch and add some lubricant.    I used to be a fan of spray lithium grease for stuff like that, I just would spray it in any available opening or onto hinges and call it good.   It works, but it leaves a white residue that you should clean off because it looks bad and dirt sticks to it.   Now I use 3-in-1 oil, but it is thin and drips out so you have to put paper towels around it for a while.