UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
95WhitePrix

Exhaust manifold gasket replacement

95WhitePrix

How hard would it be to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets on a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1l?

digitaloutsider

Not really hard, but I guess that would depend on how rusty things are on the car. Unbolt the crossover, remove the bolts/nuts that hold on each manifold, remove old gasket, install new gasket, bolt it all back together.

digitaloutsider

Nope, just remove the bolts/nuts that hold the exhaust crossover on, and get it out of the way. That'll give you more room to maneuver the exhaust manifolds themselves around once they're unbolted.  Shouldn't need to take much apart, maybe remove the airbox to get more space (it's been a long time since I've wrenched on a 60 degree motor). 

digitaloutsider

In my experience, exhaust manifold gaskets rarely fail unless they've been installed incorrectly and pinched or something.  If you're up north, the exhaust tends to rust either right before the mufflers or the mufflers themselves.  Also seen them rust on the weld joints around the cat.  Check there first. 

95WhitePrix

It sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine. It doesn't have alot of rust on it, but I guess something could be rusted out.

digitaloutsider

I believe they also have an exhaust donut between the rear manifold and downpipe. Maybe check there, too. You should be able to see black soot around the joints if they're leaking.