Center Console Interchange Question

kcac

What center consoles are interchangeable with a 1996 Cutlass Supreme center console? I did a search at car-part.com but did not get any interchange parts. I saw a couple of 1997 Cutlass Supremes at the junkyard, and was wondering if those consoles were compatible. I really only need the console lid, if that makes a difference.

Do you need a replacement because the hinge assembly cracked, thus you only need the bottom part with the hinge?  I'm assuming that only because you didn't mention a color choice.

• 4 weeks later...

The plastic hinges on the '95-'97 model Cutlass Supremes were notoriously fragile. My '95 convertible came to me with a broken hinge. It looked like the previous owner had tried to JB Weld it to no avail. Most of the ones I've seen on yards have broken hinges as well.  I ended up getting a tan armrest lid from a '96 CS sedan to go on it but I only used the underside and swapped my graphite one over to it. The two halves are held together with about six screws. Except for not having any cupholders, the earlier version ('88-'94) was a superior design. I've wondered also whether a console out of a similar vintage Monte Carlo might work. The Monte Carlo dashboard looks essentially the same, at least the structural part does, except the positions of the climate controls and radio are reversed and the climate control is just three knobs that stick through three holes in the dash bezel. Just different enough to be incompatible but the console might be a different matter. The lids on those do have metal hinges.

• 5 weeks later...