New guy from Belgium

el_corsez

Hi, my name is Tim and for about a year or so I've been a proud owner of a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that's been passed onto me. I live in Belgium and the car is in Poland for the moment but that's another matter.

I had always wanted an American car, maybe the Olds isn't what the average teenager dreams of but these cars are very rare in Europe so I'm happy with it.

The Oldsmobile make is almost unknown in these parts, so it adds to the curiosity factor. There are however problems with rarity - the first one being spare parts. The second issue is finding people with enough knowledge to be able to diagnose a problem or recommend any change - that is how I found this forum, I've already found a few useful posts. I hope that one day I'll be able to contribute to this forum to respond in kind.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:17 PM, cheatah faheatah said:

Welcome, Friend. How many miles or kms ? How is she holding up ?

I don't actually know, probably around 150000km, or 93000miles. The odometer actually says ERROR so one of the first things I'm doing when I get the car closer to where I live will be tearing the dash apart and resoldering/recapping everything.

She's doing pretty good, Polish roads aren't the nicest to cars but thankfully it was an older gentleman who drove it and he stored it under a roof. The body rusted a little under the doors due to road salt but it has been welded since then.

I live in northeast USA (New England) and rust kills cars here too. Check your strut towers & brake/fuel lines for rust, those are other weak spots.

1 hour ago, cheatah faheatah said:

I live in northeast USA (New England) and rust kills cars here too. Check your strut towers & brake/fuel lines for rust, those are other weak spots.

Thanks! I will check that as soon as possible. If all goes well, by the end of the summer I'll be able to finally start looking after the car.

We have pretty strict yearly checks for road worthiness in most of Europe and the car breezed through them so I have high hopes.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an old picture that I have lying around. I'll do some higher quality ones once I get the car back.

Still quite a lot to do with it, I've been stockpiling parts for some time now. I still need to find the passenger side rearview mirror glass. I found a NOS driver side complete assembly because mine is completely shot but can't seem to find just the glass for the right side.

IMG-20180916-WA0000.thumb.jpg.0cd7dfb52262aff996cd8d60d298abb9.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a spare UB3 cluster around. Ive collected 2 of them since theyre hard to find.

Thats the one with the advanced features. The basic one only had speed, fuel and mileage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 7:11 AM, Nas Escobar said:

Welcome to the forum. Can you post s picture of the cluster ? They were 2 available . 

Sorry, I haven't had the time to visit the forum for some time... I have the basic instrument cluster, I'll need to take a look at it but first I must tackle other issues.

The car is finally home, it behaved like a champ during the 1100 mile trip back. It gave me the time to get to know the car and it's problems.

I've started working on the car, replaced a few bits and bobs, like the driver's seat, which was broken (still need to switch over the upholstery) and the front grill that I bought NOS.

There are a few mechanical issues that need to be resolved. First of all, the front driver-side wheel bearing is on it's last legs, it became more and more apparent during the trip home. I already have a new replacement hub.

I have also started to work on the engine side of things, there is quite an oily mess on the bottom and I strongly suspect the oil drive shaft (or the dummy dizzy plug), I have begun disassembly today and the o-ring on the shaft is as hard as the metal around it... Thing is, there are no GM parts dealers here, so finding the new o-ring will be tricky (I'm not paying 18$ of shipping for a 2$ part). Does anyone have one on hand and would be kind enough to measure it? If I have the dimensions, I'll probably be able to find one that'll work. I'll try a rubber shop tomorrow, I'll keep you posted if they were able to help me.

I'm still unsure whether or not I'll do the TB coolant bypass while I'm at it, anyone has thoughts on the matter? I would not be doing it hoping of waving any HP gains but just for the sake of ease of access, should I need to remove the TB again in the future.

Next on the list is the emergency brake. the driver-side line has snapped at the end where it's supposed to attach to the brake hub. Also the lines are just too loose, I don't know what the previous mechanics have done but IMO it couldn't have worked well before...

I've also noticed a very small amount of ATF on one of the transmission pan bolts. Therefore, I'll be doing a small transmission service (filter and gasket) pretty soon. Once again, parts in Europe are rare, i found only one reseller that offers a gasket for a 4T60, everyone else only has the gaskets for the 4T60E which are not the right shape (anyone knows if the filter for the 4T60 and 4T60E is interchangeable BTW?).

During disassembly today, I've noticed an unplugged 3-pin connector under the air cleaner. Anyone has any idea where it's supposed to go? Also, is the gasket near the oil pump drive cap supposed to protrude like this (LIM gaskets are on my todo list but I'm hoping for later, rather than sooner).

20190912_161803.jpg

20191024_105432.jpg

20191024_120525.jpg