Electrical Issues

1987 GMC Jimmy

Got some help already from @ManicMechanic, but I wanted to keep the discussion going on my issues. My new-to-me car has been sitting for about 15 (+/- a year) years. A lot, and I mean a lot, works in it that I’ve been able to check. The only things that aren’t are the turn signals, horns, and instrument clusters. I was just informed on the location of the turn flasher so I’ll replace it next chance I get. My horn relay clicks, and the fuse is good, but there’s no sound. If they’re like the old school horns I’ve played with, I can test them. Where are they located, though? I’ve searched, admittedly not too hard, but I haven’t seen them yet. Finally, my cluster is completely dead minus the backlighting that comes on when switching on the lights. It’s the base style cluster, and I do get a self-test of the warning lights and SES light. Locally, the two Cutlasses in the junkyard have the identical cluster (a ‘ 90) and then a traditional cluster in an SL coupe (‘93). I’ll have to check around to see if I can find one or two more of these cars. The full digital cluster would be cool, but I have to be honest, I’m not too thrilled about having to do a repin for that guy. Let me know what you guys think!

That’d be good. My brother’s going to PAP this weekend (hopefully) so maybe I can get him to pull me that cluster and then the horns if I can tell him exactly where to look. Mine are all on the core support, but I didn’t know if this was different. This car is somewhat of a departure for me but luckily still a good bit of familiar territory.