Convertible front body

James Robert

I found some strange holes in the front fenders of my car at the top where the spot welds are under the hood. I can't find any evidence of accident repair, but this seems like some kind of stress release for the body. Does anybody else have these? They seem to be factory painted over.

lfender.JPG

rfender.JPG

Never mind. Sorry I should have looked into this further. These holes are supposed to be there apparently, as I see them on photos of others. Just had me worried there for a moment.

Wow.  I just verified my car has the same holes with cuts in them.  I never noticed those before.  When I saw your pics I thought for sure someone had cut them for some reason.  I wonder what the purpose of the cuts are.

Edited by MemphisMan

5 minutes ago, MemphisMan said:

Wow.  I just verified my car has the same holes with cuts in them.  I never noticed those before.  When I saw your pics I thought for sure someone had cut them for some reason.  I wonder what the purpose of the cuts are.

Does seem odd. I wonder if the coupe versions have them or just the verts?

18 minutes ago, James Robert said:

Does seem odd. I wonder if the coupe versions have them or just the verts?

I just checked my 91 Coupe.  It doesn't have any holes there.  

1 minute ago, MemphisMan said:

I just checked my 91 Coupe.  It doesn't have any holes there.  

Maybe It's done to somehow reduce the "scuttle shake" on the vert. The weight rebound of the battery, fluid filled radiator and front bumper may be slightly buffered by weakening those points. Just my guess.

I can confirm this with Memphis, my 91 and 89 coupe don't have it either.  It does look like a cut job, what is it?

Extra crash protection to compensate for the missing roof metal?

Edited by jiggity76

• 2 weeks later...