Digital dash and HUD

mybluecutty

That's why I love you guys, you give me support and confidence when everyone else just says "just junk em".

You should see how much I hate gold recyclers for destroying antique watches. Once you have the back off of a 60+ year old watch and see the precision and magic inside you'll hate them too.

• Like 2

I learn something about you all the time!  Time, get it!  That sounds like an expensive love affair.  I love watching the Antique Roadshow and enjoy all the old stuff like that.  Everything had such flair and personality including watches.  Do you restore them Imp?

I learn something about you all the time!  Time, get it!  That sounds like an expensive love affair.  I love watching the Antique Roadshow and enjoy all the old stuff like that.  Everything had such flair and personality including watches.  Do you restore them Imp?

My Son and I do some of them, it's not an expensive hobby even with the help of a watch doctor.

Once you can identify a dirty movement from a description antique watches can be had on Ebay for $15 - $20, then the watch doctor will clean the movement and buff the case for $40-$50.

Toss in a nice $20 Leather band (which doesn't wear away at the case like a metal band) and you've got a killer 1920's - 1960's watch for under $100.

Very cool!  What's better is that you and your son do it together.  I treasure all the memories working out in the garage with my dad, just being around him and learning about stuff.  Your boy will really appreciate that as he gets older, in more ways than you can imagine.

He's not exactly stoked about it but his eyes are a ton better than mine and he's downright wicked with a vintage swiss made hand pulling tool.

We strip them to the movement and cheat by dropping the movement into a small ultrasonic cleaner filled with mineral spirits.

After a minute the balance wheels start bouncing on their own and they come to life. After it dries the mineral spirits leave a thin oily residue on the jewels.

That's cool!  I literally said no way when I read how the movement comes back to life!  I used mineral spirits at my old job and that stuff is so versatile, gotta respect it at the same time though.

I’ve got a lot of mechanical work going on with my droptop. Engine regasketing, low mile used trans, axles, motor mounts, control arms, trailing arms. Once my mechanic is done the interior will be on me and my dad. I’ll share some pics when I get to that point.

• Like 3

I get made fun of a lot at work when people ask me about my W's.  They make that same mistake and I have to correct them, they are rare due to low production and option combinations, not worth a lot yet or maybe never.  I'm very passionate about these cars and really new cars don't interest me that much anymore unless it's a 911 Turbo or Nissan GTR, cars I can't afford.  I get way more excited about the old stuff than new.

Don't get me wrong, we need more people with your enthusiasm here. I would love to save them all, especially the rare ones. And if I was single, I'd be house poor and car rich, but I am not in that position. I'm just saying that passion and anger are two different things. This is seen in the Railroad fan sites and museum sites quite often. People get all up in arms over old RR cars and places getting scrapped or torn down, but when those items were offered for low or no cost, just had to be moved at buyers expense, they did not try to raise the fund or help procure them in any way.

If we could save them all, we would. I appreciate seeing all of the ones you find and love being educated about their rarity. I'm not trying to discourage anyone's passion towards these cars, but rather stem the anger side of things when it comes out in posts. At least there are some examples that have been saved, and there are some parts off this one that may be as well. 

• Like 2

I admit, I maybe didn't handle that very well, my emotions and frustrations got the best of me.  Thank you for your eloquent way of expressing what I was trying to say in that moment.  As time goes on and I get more educated about these cars, I have to face realty at times of how everyone else in this world besides us here on this forum treat these cars with no respect, something I have to work on.

Corvairs were once cheap, and under appreciated cars. Now almost 60 years later from when they were introduced some rare models in pristine condition are selling for $30,000 dollars. When I first got into Corvairs 10 years ago even the rarest ones in perfect shape were only worth $10 000. Who knows what will happen to the price of Ws in another 30 years.

• Like 2

No sense getting mad over this being crushed. It's rare, but also an insurance nightmare for GM since it was just made to showcase the car. Something breaks, GM gets sued. If they had not given this to the Vocational school, this would be have already been a toaster back in 89. Be glad it survived this long and people may be able to get parts.

Remember, rare does not equal valuable either, and Value is in the eye of the beholder. I have two cardboard boxes here from 1968. One held libby glasses and the other held a Tonka dump truck. The libby one is much rare than the Tonka one, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone to buy the Libby, but I could sell the tonka one for $100-300 on ebay pretty easily. does the rarity mean I should keep the Libby and not turn it into a fire starter? Nope. 

Now, if I had access to that car, and was allowed to purchase/take parts from it, I would take:

- HUD/Gauges/Radio/Wiring/Switches related to it.

- Doors

- Bumpers and cladding

- Tail Lights

- Possibly trunk lid 

- All convertible mechanisms and quarter windows

- Windshield top trim or upper windshield cut

- Any mint interior items

Basically, anything that made it a Pace car convertible that was removable. You can always find another coupe and convert it using the parts you remove, and the support bracing from a later year convertible. This assumes that you have the means to do it (You are at a vocational school, so you probably do. If not, that would make a great project)

Don't forget Seats, they have 1 off bucket seat design and cloth pattern.  I would love to get my hands on these.  You could take doors and bumpers and interior and turn a 90 into tribute .. this would be so coo!  And people have 1 of 50 would pay for spare parts too.

Upper dash pad too with the HUD. THat is in perfect shape!

OP if the weatherstripping and seals for the convertible top are all in decent condition I`d be interested in buying the full set. Mine are in OK to replace me soon condition and not sure how the old ones will work with the new top. I`d be interested in the complete interior as well including seats, dash and head board. Where is this car at?

Rich, I'll keep looking at junkyards around here, in case I run across any decent seals--but it's been a long time since I saw a Cutlass convertible in any of the yards around here.

• 2 weeks later...

OP if the weatherstripping and seals for the convertible top are all in decent condition I`d be interested in buying the full set. Mine are in OK to replace me soon condition and not sure how the old ones will work with the new top. I`d be interested in the complete interior as well including seats, dash and head board. Where is this car at?

Won't work. The 1988 frame is different from the 1991-1995 one..

I'll keep an eye out for seals. I'm hoarding a set if we can get them reproduced. They're just hidden in my house.