What parts are needed to rebuild 4th gear in 2000 GTP

Daermos

Ok so i picked up my 2000 GTP with doing mostly local driving i did not notice tell recently that my 4th gear is no there.

So i have had two thoughts 1st beang to pull the trans out of my 2002 gtp and swap into my 2000.

Or 2nd is rebuild the 4th gear without pulling the trans completly out.

This being said i am not sure which option is better, so i am wondering if anyone has a parts list of what i will need to get to rebuild the 4th gear in my 2000.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys

Something about a valve? I think just a shift solenoid? Not trying to go into gear is better than trying and getting angry because the clutches are probably fine.

Having done this repair on a few of these vehicles, it's possible to just tear it apart and replace the 4th clutch by dropping the subframe method, but personally I really don't recommend it. Mainly because these transmissions really aren't that hard to do a proper rebuild on, and the parts are cheap.

The other factor to consider is that when the 4th clutch strips, it sends shards of metal all through the transmission and these can wind up all over causing all sorts of issues later down the road.

Plus, you run the risk of contamination since the side of our cars with an open transmission pan wherever you are working on it (probably outside) is not the best place to do this kind of work (it's like open heart surgery in a shut down golden coral). 

I spent less than $300 on parts doing a complete rebuild and it took maybe two days (and that was working slow, though that doesn't include removal or installation). 

I'm not saying it's not possible, because I've done it, what I'm saying is that I don't recommend it. Every transmission I've rebuilt completely is still on the road, where the one I just replaced the 4th clutch pack and hub only lasted maybe 5000 miles. It's just not worth wasting your time or money imho.

I would plan on pulling the trans out to replace the 4th clutch hub, but that's just me, I hate not having enough room to work. The hubs themselves are cheap, $30 on eBay right now. There is an eBay video on tear Down and rebuilding the 4t65, although I've never watched it myself I've heard its pretty good. You shouldn't have to mess with the clutch packs. If you intend to mod your gtp a lot you may consider replacing the input shaft and potentially the chain while you are in there, but you wouldn't have to if all you want is 4th back.

I would plan on pulling the trans out to replace the 4th clutch hub, but that's just me, I hate not having enough room to work. The hubs themselves are cheap, $30 on eBay right now. There is an eBay video on tear Down and rebuilding the 4t65, although I've never watched it myself I've heard its pretty good. You shouldn't have to mess with the clutch packs. If you intend to mod your gtp a lot you may consider replacing the input shaft and potentially the chain while you are in there, but you wouldn't have to if all you want is 4th back.

Yup! btw that video is literally all the information you will ever need. It quite literally walks you step by step through the rebuild. You only need a $30 spring compressor and a $10 seal threader. Everything else can be done with basic tools you probably already have. The only exception is if you decide to replace the bushings and then you'll need a shop press, but even they are pretty cheap and the bearings are like $30 for all of them but usually they are in good shape. The ebay video also shows you how to inspect each part so you know what to look for. It's well worth the $40 for it.