replacement trunk lid spring

cutty collector

I am in need of a trunk lid spring for my 93 vert and can't find one. Has anyone found something else that works ? Does anyone have a spring laying around? I would have thought this would be a part that would never need replacing but mine has broken needless to say the lid rubs on the body every time you open it   HELP!!!!!!

Mine broke a few years ago and my mechanic welded it. We both wondered if it would hold (probably spring metal, constant torquing forces, etc.), but it has held. Recently the other end broke.

Sounds like a firearm being discharged in the trunk when it snaps.

Are these trunk springs the same for all 1st gen W-bodies?

the lid rubs on the body every time you open it 

That doesn't happen on my 4 door.

don't the regular ones use torsion springs? I have been looking but even first generation w cars are getting tough to find up here in Canada. Rust has gotten most of them I have only found 1 2dr coupe up my way .If anyone in my area knows of any coupes pls let me know I am looking for a charcoal console lid as well and possibly a charcoal leather seat bottom and back .There have to be some of these around yet!

Here in Quebec there are few to be seen. 

Torsion springs? I think that's what I've got - two long rods about .25 inch diameter, spanning the trunk width.

It sounds like your car uses something different, likely due to the roof mechanism.

Are these trunk springs the same for all 1st gen W-bodies?.

Those trunk springs are vert specific. The hardtop cars have a normal gooseneck without the springs. The goose neck is bolted on to the rear parcel/shelf/deck area.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough luck. I haven't had a chance to go to the yard. Check www.car-part.com. You should be able to find it using your zip code, or searching USA instead of Canada.

theres a junkyard near me called central city auto parts, in central square NY....(they are on car-parts also) they have a 1992 vert in the yard...check with them...send me the money, I can pick up the part and mail it to you

Just though I would post the fact that I found a spring in Windsor Ontario at j&b auto recylers there are 3 verts in his yard a very early one in white with a red interior a 93 black on black and a 95 forest green with a tan interior