PLEASE HELP Turn signals and Hazards not working

tonytoca_87

My 1995 vert is sitting because my turn signals and hazards are not working. No sounds no lights flashing nothing. Fuses are good replaced the turn signal flasher and still nothing. Please help this is frustrating. With the beautiful weather here all I can do is stare at my vert.

X2 switch. a really common failure on all cars is bad grounds butt you would have to have bad grounds on everything in order for it not to run any of the lights. along with a steering wheel puller you need a lock ring compressor to change the switch. AutoZone sells both tools

• Like 1

that's true. It's one we're going to buy a steering wheel puller it may make more sense to buy a harmonic balancer puller they would be able to do more than just a steering wheel. I have both and I've used both to pull a steering wheel

• Like 3

Yeah. I have the balancer puller, but I think I had to get the wheel puller for the GP.  As I recall, the bolts weren't long enough to use the balancer puller on it.  The puller was too big to fit down in there.  Not sure about a CS wheel.  Might work.  I think 95 has an airbag, as I recall.  Make sure you disconnect the battery first just in case.

• Like 1

You likely need to replace the switch itself.  It's a common issue.

You likely need to replace the switch itself.  I5t's a common issue.

Thanks for the quick response. I actually took it apart today just because after replacing the flasher and checking fuses and bulbs figured the problem was the switch. I couldn't figure out how to remove the switch from the column. Seems like the plastic cover made it difficult. will check out local salvage yards those switches aren't cheap

X2 switch. a really common failure on all cars is bad grounds butt you would have to have bad grounds on everything in order for it not to run any of the lights. along with a steering wheel puller you need a lock ring compressor to change the switch. AutoZone sells both tools

Thanks for the info. I did rent the steering wheel puller from auto zone. Took me a while to figure out how to use it lol. My buddy mentioned a bad ground. I did notice while working on the car the previous owner installed a aftermarket alarm system and whoever installed the alarm did a crappy job. Theres wires everywhere I tried hiding the wires today but that could be where the issue lies. Also there's a aftermarket radio and there's no power going to the radio when I connect the place plate. Sucks because I work 50 hours a week so I don't have much time to work on car as I would like to. Other than this switch issue the car is mechanicaly sound.

Yeah. I have the balancer puller, but I think I had to get the wheel puller for the GP.  As I recall, the bolts weren't long enough to use the balancer puller on it.  The puller was too big to fit down in there.  Not sure about a CS wheel.  Might work.  I think 95 has an airbag, as I recall.  Make sure you disconnect the battery first just in case.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I did disconnect the battery but I didn't remove the fuse

That thing pulls off and you need the lock ring compressor for what's beneath, and a couple tiny screwdrivers or picks to pull the snapring after you push the ring down. set a few Rags on the dashboard and lay the pieces in order across the dash with the outside facing up and you'll be fine during reassembly

EDIT: That airbag wire roller thing will kind of hang there by the wire so be careful.

Edited by Imp558
  • Like 1

After I removed the airbag and steering wheel

Use some duct tape to keep the inner part of the clock spring from unwinding, then pull it out.

• Like 3

That thing pulls off and you need the lock ring compressor for what's beneath, and a couple tiny screwdrivers or picks to pull the snapring after you push the ring down. set a few Rags on the dashboard and lay the pieces in order across the dash with the outside facing up and you'll be fine during reassembly

EDIT: That airbag wire roller thing will kind of hang there by the wire so be careful.

Thanks bud. I was starring at the Damn thing confused lol. I don't think I'm going to attempt this job just to the simple fact that I don't have the proper tools. I already have the puller but don't have the lock ring compressor.

Thanks bud. I was starring at the Damn thing confused lol. I don't think I'm going to attempt this job just to the simple fact that I don't have the proper tools. I already have the puller but don't have the lock ring compressor.

Simple $10 tool. Its basically a really thin needle nose plier. http://www.google.com/shopping/product/3523249043314990016?lsf=seller:9119074,store:16279776563230914095&prds=oid:17139922920491693641&q=lock+ring+pliers&hl=en&ei=wdJlV-LVBsmbmQGw1pzoCg&lsft=sid:LIAxSgLx376653245x26603672525&lsft=gclid:COnYraDXss0CFU0vgQodhrYKpA

• Like 1

Last year my turn signal switch went bad so I picked one up on the way home from work. I changed it in my driveway and when I pulled the airbag I saw written in marker that I put one in back in 2011. I took it back to the store and they looked it up and gave me my money back.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I just wanted to follow up on my topic and say " Thank You" to everyone that helped me with my turn signals and hazard lights issue. I went to advanced auto parts and purchased a new switch and now the turn signals and hazards are working as they should. :)

• Like 3

Glad you fixed it. Thank you for coming back to update the thread with the solution. Moderators, can someone add "-solved" to the title?

• Like 1