Progress on '92 convertible

Billyvannuys

Have had car about 4 weeks now. Fixed brakes, exhaust, 4 Michelins (what an improvement!), scrubbed top with bleach and laundry detergent as several of you posted (thanks so much). Helped a lot but top is moderately tattered and has been repaired with sewing and will need replacement. For fun, I got a nice fat two-tone leather steering wheel cover which makes gripping much more modern and it looks so cool! Got fuzzy dice in Vegas, new custom floor mats online. Mechanic installed replacement rectangular exhaust tips for a later model Camaro and made them protrude a bit more so underside won't turn black so easily.

I think mechanic felt I wanted a loud car, and he replaced rusted-out mufflers with quite a sporty exhaust note. Not sure if I like it. The weather seal between the little tiny side window that disappears with the top down and the rear passenger windows are twisted and leave large, noisy windgap if I don't squish them back into their right place. I have read these parts are tough to get. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Took car 300 mile trip to Vegas past week and loved it. Eased it up to 100mph and it rides smooth and quiet. Wonder how fast it would go? Don't want to blow it up though or wife will have my butt. Next up is replace steering column to fix blinkers, cruise control and horn malfunctions. New top in a month or so.

Would like to come up with a cupholder for this car. Removed coin holder but it is too shallow for cups. Found website called Mug Snug or something like that  and they have one designed for a late '60's Malibu to fit into the ashtray area. Would probably work in that big storage hole in dash if I shimmed it a little bit. I'll let you know. Okay, everyone, thanks for your help and support. Merry Christmas to all.

First photo shows new floor mats.

Second photo shows steering wheel cover..

Third photo shows exhaust tips. They do poke out a bit now.

Fourth photo shows matching fuzzy dice.

post-9558-0-07187000-1450998453_thumb.jpg

post-9558-0-78348700-1450998481_thumb.jpg

post-9558-0-65719900-1450998506_thumb.jpg

post-9558-0-39979800-1450999231.jpg

That looks pretty good. Can you get a video of the exhaust note?

Hi Nas, thanks for replying. Been looking around a bit on here. Haven't commented much on other's cars or really given much of myself on here yet.. I will make a video to post.. Pretty new to this site and just getting familiar with it.  Can we post videos on here? Don't know if I've seen any. Haven't looked at site's Facebook page yet. I'll see what I can do. I suppose I can post to You tube and the copy link on here. Been very busy with holiday visits and the trip to Vegas. Drove Olds on all of the trips to get the feel of it and see what shakes out. So far, real satisfied. Yeah, 3.1 even though running perfectly with no leaks or performance problems is no barn burner. It shifts a lot to go up our 3000 ft. mountain grades and the exhaust sound just makes it more noticeable. At age 57, I'm not going to tear this thing apart and restore it to new. It feels to heavy and underpowered to really be a performance car. But, there's just something about it. It kind of reminds me of the Corvair in a way with the weird rear suspension and everything.   But, the damn thing just goes and goes like it's new. Pardon me for asking, but what car do you have? I'll do more on here as soon as I can.

Looks like a really clean car.

Thanks 94 Olds Vert. After I bought and found oil and tranny fluid leaks, I was scared, but, they were just pan gaskets and I've got a great buddy working on it at a real garage for really cheap. All good now. You know, I re-glued loose carpet pieces and now they look pretty good. Considering using carpet dye to brighten up carpet. Saw it on one of those car dealer shows. Carpet hardly dirty. could shampoo and dye and be like new. Headliner real good. Even under hood real good. All labels and everything there. I will clean it up more as time goes on. Holidays slowed things down .Want that new top badly. Probably will replace stereo with a JVC Nav/bluetooth unit and keep old stereo in case I ever sell car. Would like to put better speakers with some bass boom in rear speaker holes without cutting bigger holes. Do you have any thoughts on that?  How about the front dashboard speakers? They all work perfectly now. but the sound is just...terrible. could I keep front dash speakers as, say, tweeters?  I'll check out your vert on here and give back to site. Holidays keep us all pretty busy, right? Thanks again. Bill.

Looks like a clean car, makes me miss mine! I'm not a fan of the interior color, but anyone around here that knows me already knows that :lol: The tips are interesting, but yeah they do poke out a bit. If you plan on modding it visually I only have a few suggestions: Lip tails/spoiler, possibly a white reverse bar if that's your cup of tea (I like both), and I'm always a fan of white cars with blacked out lights. I should dig up a picture of my old one for reference :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Hi Nas, thanks for replying. Been looking around a bit on here. Haven't commented much on other's cars or really given much of myself on here yet.. I will make a video to post.. Pretty new to this site and just getting familiar with it.  Can we post videos on here? Don't know if I've seen any. Haven't looked at site's Facebook page yet. I'll see what I can do. I suppose I can post to You tube and the copy link on here. Been very busy with holiday visits and the trip to Vegas. Drove Olds on all of the trips to get the feel of it and see what shakes out. So far, real satisfied. Yeah, 3.1 even though running perfectly with no leaks or performance problems is no barn burner. It shifts a lot to go up our 3000 ft. mountain grades and the exhaust sound just makes it more noticeable. At age 57, I'm not going to tear this thing apart and restore it to new. It feels to heavy and underpowered to really be a performance car. But, there's just something about it. It kind of reminds me of the Corvair in a way with the weird rear suspension and everything.   But, the damn thing just goes and goes like it's new. Pardon me for asking, but what car do you have? I'll do more on here as soon as I can.

Yes you can post videos on here, you simply post the link they can be from whatever website you choose to upload em, youtube is the most popular but you can use vimeo as well.

Yeah, the 3.4 is the better engine choice in these cars despite the complications of working on them, although the real problem is that these cars are almost 4000 pounds. In retrospect, a 3800 in either natural aspirated or forced induction form would have been a better choice for an engine here but at the time GM was too focused on the imports that they chose to develop the LQ1 (3.4 engine) as an experiment to replace the 3800. The sad thing is that the 3800 and 3.4 make similar power however the 3.4 is geared more towards horsepower whereas the 3800 is geared more towards torque.

I personally have a 1994 Cutlass Supreme vert, black body black top. I have a build thread on here if you're interested in my build, but it is picture heavy.

He just bought the car so I'm guessing they came on it

Except that he said the had them put on by his mechanic and that they are for a Camaro.  :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Love the exhaust tips. May I ask were you got them from and can you get them on line.

Thank you for the compliment. I was sort of back-and-forth with amount the stick out, but I look at other newer cars with visible exhaust and many are similar to this. Think I'll keep they way they are.  Believe mechanic said they are 90's Camaro tips. He got them for about $80 each at a local muffler shop (had no idea I paid that much, yikes!). Maybe they're pretty common and easy-to-find then.  But I have searched and found lots of choices online. Sorry for delay in responding, I'm an old guy (57) in college and life is pretty damn busy. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

steering wheel in good shape?

Hi pshojo, Yes, you guys are right, don't need whole  column. Steering wheel in beautiful shape. All lights and steering wheel buttons work. Mechanic buddy got side horn buttons to work (center still doesn't work), bought new AC/Delco turn stalk, and inner-column signal switch, now blinkers click on/off perfectly and cruise control working. Mechanic was a little heavy-handed when replacing steering wheel and he crushed the round printed circuit board in the steering wheel by putting wheel back on with impact gun. I know! Chewed his butt out. Luckily, I found one in first wrecking yard I went to in a 89 Regal GS. Now waiting for my driver's outer door handle to arrive. Old one already bent when I bought car, now it snapped off. So, every little button and feature on the car is working. Don't know what I'm gonna do with the stereo. Has original cassette. Will probably at least put better 5 1/4 inch speakers in back to start with because that's easy. All factory speakers work perfectly, but there's really not any bass in rear at all. I'm learning a lot from you guys on here. Sometimes I get a little discouraged. Car was a little too complicated for its day.