94 Cutlass Supreme - Outer Tie Rods

Mstg007

With the post below; I finally had a chance to buy 2 new outer tie rods.

http://www.w-body.com/topic/54296-clunk-turning-into-driveway/

Question I have is; that I have never tried to change these. I believe that they are still the originals.

Could I possibly get some directions (step by step) on how to change / replace them with the new ones?

I did hear once I have then changed to take it to get an alignment done.

Thanks guys!

These are really easy to change out. Mark how far the old tire ride is threaded into the adjusting rod. There is a nut and bolt on that rod, you will need to losen both of those. Will require two wrench, I forget the size off the top of my head. I am thinking it is an 18MM. Then remove the cotter pin from the castle nut on the knuckle. Then remove the castle nut. Then pound out the old tie rod. It's really simple. I don't recall the castle nut either, but it maybe a 16MM. Hope that helps.

If you put the new one on in the same spot you shouldn't need an alignment, but it wouldn't hurt to take your car in some place that has free alignment checks.

if you want to do some measuring, you can get it really close with two people and a tape measure(though I've done it on my own a few times).... measure the distance between two sections of tread as high up the tire as you can on both sides(probably going to be about 5" off of the ground), do it a few times for redundancy, write the values down(something like 53 1/8" front, 53 3/16" rear as an example), replace one tie rod end and adjust until you get back to the original numbers, then replace the other side and adjust it back to the original numbers. if you can dial it in to within 1/16", then the maximum error you would see is about .175* on each side if the height you measure the front and rear at is about 20.5" from front to rear(which at about 5" off of the ground is about where you would be measuring). GM's spec is a total of .2* combined is allowed, you're looking at a maximum of .35* combined with 1/16" accuracy.

if you only change one item at a time between adjustments, you should be able to keep the existing alignment specs within reason. if your current tie rod ends are trashed, that may not be enough though and you'll end up needing to have a shop do it anyways.

if nothing else, it will be enough to safely drive to an alignment shop.

Very easy to do, just like Nate has said but instead of pounding out the tie rods why not jack up the entire strut assembly to relieve the tension and just lift the tie rod right out of the hole. :dance:

The time I went for my larger front sway bar I bent a tie rod separator and gave up on the hammer idea trying to get one out. Ended up hacksawing through the tierod and the end just lifted out once I cut through it. I just stood there like WTF? Did this shit just really fall the hell out after all that?

You cannot beat AC delco ends for $9

I just did this over the weekend. If you are somewhere where rust is apart of life use a little penetrating fluid. Mark the jam nut, the one that is against the tie rod. that way you can put it back where it was. undo the crown nut that holds the tie rod to the knuckle. Leave the crown nut even with the stud of the tie rod so not to distort it with the hammer and so it doesn't go flying. Smack the crown nut with a hammer until the tie rod taper breaks free. remove crown nut and tie rod from knuckle. At this time count how many turns it takes to remove the tie rod. mine where 16 full rations on one side and 16 1/4 rotations on the other. That is how many rotations you should use to install the new ones. then pop the tie rod into the knuckle. tighten jam nut to the tie rod. if the jam nut isnt in the same spot as the original tie rod get an alignment asap you wheels will will be out of alignment even if it doesn't drive any differently. Install crown nut to torque spec and then what ever slight rotation is needed to insert the cotter pin. never back the crown nut off to get the cotter pin in. Install cotter pin and bend the ends around the crown nut and trim cotter pin if needed. 

Hope you used anti-size on the treads and ran the jam nut back and forth to clean up the treads! Haha just a little bit easier on the alignment guy, been there done that! I hated doing alignments :mad:!