new with a 1994 Cutlass Supreme S

JediJames13

Hey...I'm new. I know my way around installing aftermarket stereo's i guess and have experience with electronics in other things besides cars (mostly computers), and basic maintenance, tweaking, and minor modifications. I live in Southwest Utah.

My vehicle is a black 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S with a 3.1 L V6, automatic transaxle (not sure which option it has for the transmission), ~210,000 miles on it, aftermarket stereo (but stock speakers), has a hole in the muffler, nearly overheats if you go 20+ miles in 110 degree weather on the freeway, low oil light comes on even when the oil is full enough, Service Engine light comes on at random times even when all is well (a trusted mechanic looked at it to confirm that everything was fine), window switches don't work except for right-rear window, A/C doesn't work (i suspect the compressor isn't getting any power because it doesn't engage), power locks don't always work and drain the battery (took out the fuse for it to disable power locks so it wouldn't drain battery), steering wheel controls don't work (no wires for it in aftermarket stereo), driver window gear is stripped, passenger window is off the track, keyless remote entry system malfunctioned and was taken out by the previous owners (my brother) mechanic because the security system started freaking out and wouldn't let the car start, rear passenger courtesy lights on ceiling don't get power from switch or open door.

Welcome! Sounds like you have a few bugs to work out, but nothing too major

Well, it's super hot where i live so i really need to fix the A/C, i just hope it doesn't involve new wiring.

Welcome. Have you checked pressure on the a.c. system? If the pressure is too low it won't let it engage. Also, if the pressure is fine then it could either be the pressure switch or possibly the HVAC control unit.

Welcome aboard!! My dad used to put black tape over the Service Engine soon light on his Cutlass.

Drove it for years with light on.

Don't take this as helpful information

• Like 3

Welcome!

Welcome. Have you checked pressure on the a.c. system? If the pressure is too low it won't let it engage. Also, if the pressure is fine then it could either be the pressure switch or possibly the HVAC control unit.

Agreed... Check pressure first, most commonly a leak, usually at the condenser. Our A/C's are pretty easy to work on with some patience and adequate research.

Welcome to the forum.

Doesn't sound like the car is in too horrible shape, but as far as low oil goes, can you verify it with a mechanical gauge? Usually it's not low oil but low oil pressure what that light usually means.

Welcome to the forum.

Doesn't sound like the car is in too horrible shape, but as far as low oil goes, can you verify it with a mechanical gauge? Usually it's not low oil but low oil pressure what that light usually means.

the dipstick level is in an acceptable range, and the oil pressure gage on the dash is about 3/4 so it's fine, i'm pretty sure it's the sensor shorting out because the wiring plug for it on the engine has lost it's insulation.

where is the HVAC control unit located? the pressure being low might explain why my trying to refill it didn't fix it, however, the previous owner (my brother) recharged it before he sold it to me and he said the compressor engaged. I haven't checked the pressure yet but i also haven't ruled out the A/C relay in the fusebox being bad. About leaks, i don't know if this is related but last time i used defog it left this blue residue on the winshield, a friend told me it was my heater core leaking, could that also be the A/C leaking?

The HVAC control unit is the one in the dash with the knobs/sliders/buttons on it that makes the heat and a.c. work. The a.c. leaking would not make a blue fog residue appear when you used defrost. I'm not sure what that is from. Have you used any cleaners on the windshield? I have had some cleaners I've used on the dash get on the windshield and leave some weird patterned residues, but that's the only thing I can think of..

The HVAC control unit is the one in the dash with the knobs/sliders/buttons on it that makes the heat and a.c. work. The a.c. leaking would not make a blue fog residue appear when you used defrost. I'm not sure what that is from. Have you used any cleaners on the windshield? I have had some cleaners I've used on the dash get on the windshield and leave some weird patterned residues, but that's the only thing I can think of..

I just use normal windex. I don't think the HVAC controls are bad because the heater works fine.