Old, old, OLD forum member dropping by to say hi!

DiscoStudd

Hello to all who might remember me! Name's Kevin, used to post over here quite a bit back in the mid-aughts. Was the guy who posted the write-ups for the VATS bypass and Signal Switch replacement.

Anywho, I started lurking around here again and thought I'd drop in and say "hey." Last time I was over here I had a 95 Regal, and 2 Impalas (04 and 07.) Long story short, I sold the Regal to a close friend (who drove the shit out of it until mid-2014,) got divorced and got "custody" of the 04 Impala. Fast forward 5 years and I still have the 04 Impala (she's got around 175k on the clock) along with a 99 Tahoe. Got remarried, and my new wife has a 2014 Chevy Cruze.

So seeing as this is a W-Body site, I won't bore any of you with the details of my non-W's. The Impala has been very very good to me, however seeing as it has the problematic 3400, I've become very well versed in said motor inside and out.

Back in '11, I proactively replaced the head and intake gaskets. Whilst doing this, I swapped in exhaust manifolds from an '05 3400 and a 3500 upper intake. Shortly after the gasket change, the heater hose popped off from the heater core and overheated the engine. All seemed to be well until a couple years later when the rear head cracked and let coolant loose on the freeway. I said "fuck it" and drove it home whilst overheating. I ended up letting the car sit for close to 6 months before deciding to swap in a boneyard 3400. I should've known better than to just throw the "new" engine in the car without first changing the gaskets, as the damn LIM gasket started leaking (coolant in oil) around 2 months after the swap.

Sonofabitch!!! So that's where I'm at with the Impala. My 16 year old stepson just got his license and we're thinking about letting him use the Impy. The only way I'm letting that happen, tho is if he helps me with changing out the LIM gaskets...

So that's the story of my W-body follies. In the immediate future, I'm contemplating buying up a few old U-Vans with torched 3400's and reselling them for profit (unfortunately, there's no money to be had in reselling old W-bodies.) Fun times, for sure!

Hey, what`s up. I joined up about `08 after reading through the forum currently LIMG deep into a 3400 myself. I've never owned another car long enough to get to know this Cutlass but compared to a few other cars around the family its definitely the problem prone but I just don't think I could bare to part with it. Planning some major suspension work in the near future and probably going to need a rebuilt or crate transmission in the next year or so.

Hey, what`s up. I joined up about `08 after reading through the forum currently LIMG deep into a 3400 myself. I've never owned another car long enough to get to know this Cutlass but compared to a few other cars around the family its definitely the problem prone but I just don't think I could bare to part with it. Planning some major suspension work in the near future and probably going to need a rebuilt or crate transmission in the next year or so.

Nice Cutlass! My parents used to own a 92 convertible that was the same color and had the same wheels (they traded it in on a friggin HHR of all things!)

IIRC, 94 was that goofy year where they were transitioning to Gen 1.5 (had the Gen 1.5 rear brakes and steering column and Gen 1 dash and front brakes...) What type of suspension upgrades are you going with? Just curious, as back in the day when I used to post over here the big suspension upgrade was Intrax lowering springs up front with a Birchmount leaf spring out back...

Welcome home, man!

Glad to be home, man! It's been too long!!!

Welcome back!

Yeah these V6's love their intake gaskets. I had to do it on my LQ1... twice.

Good luck with the swap.

Thanks! Shouldn't take too long, I'm becoming a damn guru with how many times I've had these engines apart!!!

I think after I make some cash flipping vans, I might just swap in a non-VVT 3500 into the Impy. Milzy Motorsports is selling conversion parts to get the 3500 to work with the 3400's PCM...

Thanks! Shouldn't take too long, I'm becoming a damn guru with how many times I've had these engines apart!!!

I think after I make some cash flipping vans, I might just swap in a non-VVT 3500 into the Impy. Milzy Motorsports is selling conversion parts to get the 3500 to work with the 3400's PCM...

Hahah I'm starting to feel the same way. You know it's bad when people in real life come up to you and ask you about their car problems.

That would be legit! I've always wanted to tune a V6. S/C something... idk I have a lot of wild dreams.

What happened to the 07 Impala btw??

I lucked up on a KYB set from a member here that disappeared right after I got everything including the strut bearing for the front, FE3 rated front springs and seats as well as struts to go on all 4 corners. Already have the largest W-body factory sway bar with poly bushings, Vert FTSB, Venom RTSB and grabbed the biggest rear sway bar from a 1.5 Z34 that I believe will fit as its the same shape as 1st gen W-bodies have. Then I ended up grabbing a set of used rear struts that had already been modified to be used as coil overs. Since my current factory struts are begging to be changed I think I will hold off on the coil overs because I don't want the rear lowered without the front. I forgot about those Intrax springs, I may go look into how much a pair would be as well as other parts for lowering the front. Ive been doing more maintaining than modding, don't let that old pic down there fool you. Its really disguised as a POS in real life.

I was actually considering a 3400 swap at some point but it seems like the engine is the one thing I can keep working better than other systems, transmission will need to be changed or rebuilt first.

it does take a special type of person to love these cars...

:bonk:

What happened to the 07 Impala btw??

Ex wife got it in the divorce (along with the payments!!!) I'm glad, too, as it had the now infamous camber plate problem that GM lumped under "Old GM" when faced with a class-action lawsuit.

I lucked up on a KYB set from a member here that disappeared right after I got everything including the strut bearing for the front, FE3 rated front springs and seats as well as struts to go on all 4 corners. Already have the largest W-body factory sway bar with poly bushings, Vert FTSB, Venom RTSB and grabbed the biggest rear sway bar from a 1.5 Z34 that I believe will fit as its the same shape as 1st gen W-bodies have. Then I ended up grabbing a set of used rear struts that had already been modified to be used as coil overs. Since my current factory struts are begging to be changed I think I will hold off on the coil overs because I don't want the rear lowered without the front. I forgot about those Intrax springs, I may go look into how much a pair would be as well as other parts for lowering the front. Ive been doing more maintaining than modding, don't let that old pic down there fool you. Its really disguised as a POS in real life.

I was actually considering a 3400 swap at some point but it seems like the engine is the one thing I can keep working better than other systems, transmission will need to be changed or rebuilt first.

I had KYB's on the Regal and they greatly improved the handling! I didn't go as wild on the swaybar. The Regal didn't have one from the factory, so I just installed one from a Cutlass (and had to install nutserts into the mounting holes, as they weren't threaded!)

There was a big group buy many many years ago for the Intrax/Birchmount combo. I honestly don't know if they even make either anymore. I once tried ordering the Suspension Techniques springs from JC Whitney and after the shipment being delayed several times, they finally refunded my money and told me they were discontinued by the manufacturer...

I can tell you that going from a small-port 3100 to a 3400 is quite the kick in the pants!!!

This is the most I've done to my Impy in the last few years:

engineout.jpg

I ended up keeping the 3400 UIM and small-port exhaust manifolds that came with the "new" engine in place instead of transferring those items over from the old engine. I cheaped out and didn't spring for a 65mm throttle body when I did the 3500 UIM swap on the old engine, so I had to carve an IAC port into the throttle body adapter plate to reuse the stock throttle body. It would throw a MIL light from time to time when it was trying to settle into idle. Since going back to "stock," no trouble codes. I really didn't notice a difference in the "butt dyno" by installing those items anyway. Might've been a different story if I went with a 65mm throttle body, downpipe/u-bend delete, and a PCM tune...

Welcome back. Seems like almost everyone makes there way back here eventually. :D

I might stick around this time!! LOL

it does take a special type of person to love these cars...

Ain't that the truth!!!

Good to see you around here!

Thanks, man! Back under your original username, I see?

I haven't gotten the inserts for the rear sway bar but I did find that the long bolts for the upper dogbone mounts seem to work awesome with no rattling around so I thought to give those a try. It might be a good idea to source those insert just in case, I believe another member was asking about those in a thread I made about adding a rear sway bar to a car not optioned for one. Already discovered the mounting bracket for the inner sway bar mounts cannot be bought but found at a junk yard, probably the same for the inserts. Nate or 94 Vert had a set of ST springs that went pretty quick so the next time some come up for sale I`ll grab them. When im ready to go nuts on the suspension/brakes I'll be looking at F-body and Corvette parts, if it gets to that point. Probably wont as I just want to build a special edition CS and have it reliable and maintainable

I bought the threadserts from Grainger. Had to buy the special tool to install them as well. They went in kinda like a rivet.

Shit, had I known there was interest in the swaybar mounts, I'd have had my buddy who I sold the Regal to pull them before he scrapped the car!!

Eventually just about every part that's not offered from a store or website will be requested at some point. Grainger? They have a big supply house here in Nashville I can visit, would you happen to remember what they might be called and I`ll track them down and post on the forum for a source.

Eventually just about every part that's not offered from a store or website will be requested at some point. Grainger? They have a big supply house here in Nashville I can visit, would you happen to remember what they might be called and I`ll track them down and post on the forum for a source.

Couldn't find the exact product, but this was close:

http://www.grainger.com/product/5TUW2?cm_sp=HIO-_-HIDP-_-BTM_V2V&cm_vc=IDPBVZ12&zoneId=IDPBTZ12

I don't remember exactly what bolt size I used, but 1/4-20 rings a bell...

Yessir, debating selling it though.

I have this now. :D http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/77949-Manic-s-1989-GMC-Sierra-SportSide

attachment.php?attachmentid=15769&d=1396388904&thumb=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=15771&d=1396388942&thumb=1

Damn you southerners and your rust-free vehicles!!!!!

That is pretty damn sweet, definitely extinct up in my neck of the woods. I haven't seen a real, live C/K with mini-quads in at least a decade!!!

This is what I've been bombing around in lately:

dirtyhoe.jpg

99 'Hoe - Going for the Z71 look up front. Got my chinese headlights, faux LED signal lights, and grille inserts from Grille Guy. Sanded down the chrome grille shell and painted 'er body color, however the paint is starting to chip off :bash:

holy shit its disco stu

welcome back

Thanks!! How's the twin-engine Cutlass?

the shell is at SRC motorsports in kings mountain NC getting a jungle gym installed by Wally Stroupe. whole new clean sheet chassis to fix/solve and remove all our headaches.

hopefully we'll end up under 3500lbs