Tire rotation methods

GM-midsize-guy

I have my tires rotated about every 6,000 miles. Since I began driving, I've always had them rotated front to back on the same side of the vehicle.

The dealership is happy to do it this way with the original tires. However, with other care I've had, Costco has varied by its stores. Most of them have done front to back either as their policy or because that's what I asked for. One time, the tire store manager practically got into an argument with me. I took it to another store, told them the story, the rotated them front to back, and even hinted that the guy at the other store can be sort of heavy handed.

I will soon be looking at replacing the original tires. The Costco closest to where I live talked about diagonal rotation. They also said every 7,500 whereas another Costco said every 5,000. Either way, it's free.

So, is it fine to do a diagonal rotation with the new Michelin Defender tire or should I continue asking for front to back? Is there any data, such as tire info or some link, that would support which way they should be rotated?

It should be just like your owner's manual states. The fronts should go straight back, staying on the same side, while the rears come to front switching sides they are on. It keeps the tires from getting noisy from feathered inside edges.

it can vary, depending on the tire..... if you have directional tread, you're kind of stuck with keeping them on one side(though you can swap front/rear).

the defender line looks to be asymmetrical, but not directional, so you can rotate them however you see fit.

Front to back is fine. I can't see what diagonal rotation would do for you.... I can see it if the tire specifically asks for it, but other than that, the best way to do it is f/b.

It should be just like your owner's manual states. The fronts should go straight back, staying on the same side, while the rears come to front switching sides they are on. It keeps the tires from getting noisy from feathered inside edges.

^This x2

Any other method goes against the book and any who go against the book are heretics and shall be burnt at the stake.

This is also the method I use.

Standard rotation procedure is fronts go straight to the back, rears cross and come to the front.

Directional tires can only be swapped front to back.