94 outside door handle not allowing door to open

Mstg007

This morning I could not get my drivers side door handle to open the door. The handle works properly. But it seems like the lock portion is getting caught or rubbing against something. I had to pull the door handle kinda hard until the door finally opened. Any thoughts on how to make it loose like it use to. I did spray with WD40. But it stil gets caught. Open for ideas, thanks

1. WHAT CAR??? HOW MANY DOORS???

2. Has the door sagged over the years? If you look at the striker pin, is the top of the pin scuffed?

3. Lumina 4-door outside handles are known for breaking. They have a piss-poor design, compounded by piss-poor materials. The 2-door handles are nearly as bad.

4. The linkage rods seem to be prone to bending. At least, I read about many other folks who've got bent linkage rods. Hasn't been a problem on my two Ws, though.

If you remove the interior trim cover and observe how the handle works you will see a long lever like part with a brass piece that slides up and down this lever. Over time this brass part will start to gouge the lever making an ever increasing amount of effort to open, until the lever eventually breaks. Best thing a person with handles like this can do is when bought take a file and round that edge off so it doesn't damage the metal, I started using a gun lubricant in place of grease and this works better.(Rem Oil)

There are two threaded rods, one that controls the locks and the other is the opening mechanism, you can try adjusting the tiny nut up on the one opening rod and see if that helps.

1. WHAT CAR??? HOW MANY DOORS???

2. Has the door sagged over the years? If you look at the striker pin, is the top of the pin scuffed?

3. Lumina 4-door outside handles are known for breaking. They have a piss-poor design, compounded by piss-poor materials. The 2-door handles are nearly as bad.

4. The linkage rods seem to be prone to bending. At least, I read about many other folks who've got bent linkage rods. Hasn't been a problem on my two Ws, though.

It's not a piss poor design if mine works perfect and all original. never bent because I adjusted the nut like it's only obvious after you take off the trim piece.

I think the issue with the pillar mounted door handles is that the materials are simply weak. My door handles were cracked in the cold and it was always the handle, not the trim.

Funny thing is that the "dorman handle" is considered to be worse, but it feels just as good as the original GM ones.

It's not a piss poor design if mine works perfect and all original. never bent because I adjusted the nut like it's only obvious after you take off the trim piece.

They all break right here: Obvious weak-spot. Thinnest section of metal, weak design, or substandard materials.

LuminaDoorHandle2.jpg

Funny thing is that the "dorman handle" is considered to be worse, but it feels just as crappy as the original GM ones.

FIFY

Edited by Schurkey

They all break right here: Obvious weak-spot. Thinnest section of metal, weak design, or substandard materials.

LuminaDoorHandle2.jpg

FIFY

Oh I know, but I've noticed some prefer a 20+ year old used part over a new part made equally as the OEM one. I've broken a door handle within a month of finding it at the junk yard and putting it on. All my door handles have broken in the same spot.

But I've also noticed they break more easy when you pull them out all the way. There's a trick to em. Also pulling on them when the door is locked doesn't help conserving the piece.

If the door seals are sprayed with silicone spray every year before winter hits, it helps a ton. In fact I got to do that and oil the lock cylinders before a deep freeze locks me out the car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New update. I still can not open the door from the outside. However I can open it from the inside with out any problems.... Before I could pull the outside hard too open. But now it will not budge at all. If I shut the door softly. Whee it is not all the way shut. I can use the outside door handle too open it with out any problem. But again as I shut it normally. I can not get it to budge. Thanks for any input.

Get a new door handle and adjust the rod mechanism. Adjustment is trial and error, but I've found the further up, the easier to open.

Here's the Dorman link for the door. Look for the part number online or at your local parts store.

Driver's side

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-8516-77176.aspx?year=1994&make=Oldsmobile&model=Cutlass%20Supreme&parttype=Handle%20-%20Exterior%20Door&origin=YMM

Passenger's side

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-16410-77175.aspx?year=1994&make=Oldsmobile&model=Cutlass%20Supreme&parttype=Handle%20-%20Exterior%20Door&origin=YMM

I know some feel the OEM door handle is made better than the Dorman kind, but they're both the same. Sadly, my Dorman handle has lasted longer than my yard find 95 which is sticking like yours.

OK, I have to retract this.

YESTERDAY: Had my car in the garage for some other work--brakes, tracking a PS leak, tire won't hold air, etc. Suddenly discovered that the door wouldn't latch properly. Tracked it down to having to push the outside door handle back in after pulling it out to open the door. Lubed everything as best I could. No change. Outside door handle is now very-high-friction.

Pissed-off and behind schedule, I pulled the door panel off, expecting another broken door handle. Of course, I couldn't get to the mechanism because the window was down.

DING! DING! DING! I roll the window back up. Door works perfectly. Roll the window down, door doesn't latch because the outside door handle won't retract.

I discover that the linkage rod from the door handle to the mechanism is bowed in such a way that the window glass interferes with it only when the window is down. Reaching through the door access holes, I grab the rod with my bare hand and straighten it out with my temper.

Works great glass up or down, now.

Sh!tty, weak-ass linkage rods. I tried taking pictures, but the camera flash wouldn't illuminate the linkage rod buried inside the door, so all my photos of the internal mechanism are dark and terrible. Sorry.

Edited by Schurkey

a612c3468c2cd031a25dfb3f7753f720.jpge3503427a04387758c43cb73d3bd5508.jpg

I did some messing around today with the door handle. I found out if I push my door up, that I can somewhat Alittle get the door to unlock from the outside. Apparently the door handle was replaced at some point. I tried to adjust the rod, but really could not figure how to adjust it. Can someone kinda give me the idiots guide how to do it? Thanks for any help!!!

a612c3468c2cd031a25dfb3f7753f720.jpge3503427a04387758c43cb73d3bd5508.jpg

I did some messing around today with the door handle. I found out if I push my door up, that I can somewhat Alittle get the door to unlock from the outside. Apparently the door handle was replaced at some point. I tried to adjust the rod, but really could not figure how to adjust it. Can someone kinda give me the idiots guide how to do it? Thanks for any help!!!

Pertaining to the threaded rod and connector that attach to the gold lever of the door mechanism in the photos; pry and move the black retaining clip to the right, pry out the threaded connector and turn it to position it higher on the threaded rod (in most cases flush with the top of the threaded rod). Slide black clip to the left until it clicks into place, insert the threaded connector back in the hole. This should release the door latch sooner into the door handle travel. Hopefully the door latch will release when the door handle is half way out instead of all the way out or in your case, not at all.

I hope this helps.

George

When I had my 1990 Buick Regal 3.1 from '94 to 2000 I put nearly 90k miles on it and no problems whatsoever, but it was only 10yrs old back then.

• 1 year later...

Changed my door handle this morning on my 94 convertible Cutlass......

THANKS for the PICTURES and the advice,,,,, bolted it on, adjusted the rod with no tension and BANG first try works perfect !!!!

Thanks to all who wrote here and I am ordering a spare tomorrow,,,,,

Mike B

• Like 1