Oil filter size for 3.1L v6?

Hoganator

Quick question, i just need to know what size oil filter goes to my 96 GP SE?

Oh and how many quarts of oil should I put in when changing it?

Edited by Hoganator

books call for a PF47-sized cannister, but i use a PF52 whenever possible. these are ACDelco numbers, so you may need to cross-reference them to whatever brand you trust. the purolator 24011 and WIX 51036(in any variety) are what i would recommend. certain store-brands are repackaged versions of those as well(NAPA->WIX, for instance).

oil: dump in 4 quarts and start/idle the engine for a minute or so, let it sit for another minute at least(5 if you're paranoid), then expect to put in another .5-1 quarts to get to the full line. any 5W-30 meeting a recent API spec will do fine. if you want to spend more, pretty much every synthetic 5W-30s and 0W-30s are all pretty great as well, some are more cost-effective than others.

no thanks on the synthetic oil for my W. i like my engine gaskets DRY and leakfree!

as for the filter Pf47 is the stocker or pf52 for the larger.

purolater is L24011 for there big filter(which i use)

puro still makers a REAL filter

AVOID FRAM FILTERS LIKE THEY HAVE EBOLA!

5w30 real oil. any decent brand will be fine. just keep it full!

If your gaskets are leaking while running synthetic, the damage was already done. Replace the weeping gaskets. That said, I've run synthetic oil in every W I've owned without issue.

I'd avoid the E-core AC Delco oil filters- they have a plastic cage on the inside of the filters. Purolator is definitely the way to go.

While one this subject, the quickest way to destroy seals is to use "stop leak" in your oil. It attacks the seals, causing them to swell---but makes the seals hard, meaning they'll likely leak worse later--and not just the seal you were trying to get to stop leaking.:roll:

This is unfounded hogwash. Please don't perpetuate this nonsense.

hogwash?

wrong fella ive seen it happen way to many times.:shrug:

there us no way i'd put synthetic in a 17 yr old car like mine NO WAY!

sorry we dont agree fella. no hard feelings

Edited by 1979lee

synthetic causing gasket failures was from back when synthetic engine oils first came around..... which was what, the early 80s? that problem got fixed pretty quickly.

synthetic oils containing more/stronger cleaning additives and breaking down clumps of oil that were otherwise plugging a leak? that can still happen. that can still happen with some of the high dollar conventional oils too. if you want gaskets held together with tar, don't be surprised if/when it suddenly lets go.