The Budget Friendly Mod Thread

Booba

the two EGR systems are VERY different. the 95-earlier is a 3-solenoid "digital" scheme with 8 different combinations of flow with no feedback to the ECM in terms of pintle position. the 96+ is a "linear" setup that uses a single solenoid with a feedback sensor to dial in a desired amount of flow. that's not accounting for the different way that they mount or have their EGR tubes ran to them either.

I'm looking into developing a code patch to allow the 94-95 3100 PCM to control a linear EGR valve, but I don't know if i'll go through with it or just buy/make an adapter.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the plastic and aluminum valve covers on the 3100 sfi. If there is any benefit to swapping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those plastic ones like to crack around the bolts some fro a later model 3100 or 3400 are a direct swap. Swapping mine out for some from a 2004 Monte Carlo was the first mod I did to my car. It leaks a little from some of the worn out rubber grommets though so I might swap them out again soon.

• 2 weeks later...

refrigerant doesn't just disappear.... it leaked out at some point, so you do have a leak somewhere in your system, how fast it disappears is a good question.

if you have a V5 compressor, it is almost certainly at least one of the two "belly" seals that are used to seal the 3 major portions of the case together.

for long-term results, yes.

recharging it without finding the leak(don't use refrigerant with "leak sealer" in it, you will instantly have a rather poor reputation with anyone that uses a recycling/reclaiming machine) may last a year or two.... or just a couple of hours, in my case.

I noticed the 96 gtp sits lower in the front than mine does(I have a 94). Can I get some springs from a gtp and slap em on mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I just cut out my non hud dashpad. I have no idea what i can do as far as trim so it doesnt look all ghetto. Any ideas?

They sell dash covers that will lay over the top of the existing dash. Or maybe 4 pieces of rubber hose cut with a slit down the side and 45s cut on the ends to act as a trim. Do you have a hud unit to put into it?

• 2 weeks later...
d0e99efbf041725fb64e0e25e31fa05d.jpg

Thats the in side of my plenum. What can cause this

Make an oil catch can like this

e754d247cc7690538fa57e7a5871964b.jpgb87b3d860641678803aae1343e8d0de0.jpgd3e2501ff5392d09c365991a697af249.jpg

Run a 2nd hose to the bottom on the jar from the metal valve and the oil will settle in the jar instead of the manifold. Put brass wool in it to filter better, or just buy one online. If oil quickly builds up, ide suggest replacing the metal PCV itself because they can go bad, GM says to replace them every 100k to keep it running proper. it's $2.99 at Orileys and part number 299.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would call that buildup "normal operation". that isn't bad, but it could be better. you could think of it as a secondary filtration system, any dirt/dust that otherwise would have bounced around in the intake before being sucked into a cylinder instead hits a film of oil and is trapped there.