90 fe3 rear shocks

2001goldGTP

So i have new rear shocks and i am ready to install them but according to the GM service manual i need a special rear leaf spring compressor. Is there a way to do it without the compressor? If not does anyone want to loan or sell me their compressor?

thanks

Consider picking up one of these..........

http://www.lelong.com.my/alignment-camber-locator-gauge-1230-aaronngu77--aaronngu77-I97229-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

(disregard THAT particular website)

they are a lifesaver when it comes to getting the camber angle right where it needs to be after you've finished the job, if you do it properly an alignment shop is not necessary.

That youtube video is not like my 90. Its a lot more like my 2001

The directions John typed out = the reason I linked there.

If you scribe marks all around the knuckle, it's not that hard to get it aligned almost exactly as it was before.

• 2 weeks later...
The directions John typed out = the reason I linked there.

If you scribe marks all around the knuckle, it's not that hard to get it aligned almost exactly as it was before.

My 1992 CS manual says that effectively the only way to adjust rear camber is to elongate (ie: make oblong) the holes in the strut itself (and the auxiliary spring mount) with some sort of file.

When changing the rear struts, what else is there really to align?

My 1992 CS manual says that effectively the only way to adjust rear camber is to elongate (ie: make oblong) the holes in the strut itself (and the auxiliary spring mount) with some sort of file.

When changing the rear struts, what else is there really to align?

Even without elongating the holes, the relationship of the strut to knuckle can somewhat be altered.

Even without elongating the holes, the relationship of the strut to knuckle can somewhat be altered.

Really? How? Everything seemed to be rock-solid tight.

BTW, OP, you will need an auxiliary spring compressor. I personally used a long carriage bolt, 3 nuts, and a washer. But failing that, there is a special tool.