Brake Light Switch

olds1992

Well I need to change my brake light switch. :evil: But the switch the 89n looks a lot different then the one in the 1990. Does anyone know if the switches are diiferent for these two years? ANd has anyone done this? Doesn't seem too hard, just REAL TIGHT!

Well...the 1989 switch from the 5-Speed donor car and the 1990 TGP brake switch were identical. What is wrong with yours that you need to replace it? I have a spare brake switch in my garage from the TGP that you may buy for $35 with shipping... 8)

The one on my car keeps poping out of the setting. It looks like the plastic slide is broken, so the pedal can be pulled up past its normal resting position. When I press the brakes, I need to release the pedal softly, or the pedal will jump up, and the light will stay on cause the pin does not stay locked in. I will get a better look tonight to see if it really is different one in the other car, or I could just be blind. But I probably wont need your switch cause I can get one at the junk yard near my house. Thanks anyways.

The two switches were the same. I just didn't look good enough, and having a flash light with fresh batteries helped too! I pulled the switch from the 89. It just unclipped the cotter pin and then slid right out. I could see how taking the seat and dropping the steering column would make more room, but taking out that heavy a$$ seat and moving the column us way too much work for a little switch. I will just be careful when I slide it up into place tomorrow. And I found out why my pedal can be pulled up past its normal resting position, the vacume switch for the cruise control is not mounted b/c the clip is broken. So I will have to fix that too. But hopefully after this, everything will be fine.

btw i bought this flourescent tube light from walmart for $20 and that helped ALOT. i could just stick the light up under the dash and it illuminated everything with nice bright white light.

joshua

thanx for the reminder

we worked on my friends new to him 92 grand am se 2dr this weekend had to replace the heater core. adn well on sat we went through about 6 regular light bulbs cuz i kept bumping or dropping the treble light. had one of those flourescent ones a few years back then it burnt up in a fire and have not needed one yet, but i do think the next time i get to walmart i will have to grab me one. handy lots of light and it is not blinding.

Monty