3.1 zero fuel pressure...balls deep

Go4DaMo

Would love input from my family on here.

Briefing: Mom's 3.1, fuel pressure: 10-12 psi, manually...0 PSI turning key. No fuel seeping from regulator, replaced fuel filter, replaced pump.

Realized triangular "bumper" between pump and pulse dampener was missing...disassembled.

While sending unit is on my workbench, should I remove dampener, altogether? and if so, using rubber hose and worm clamp? Gonna start back at it at 8:15 AM. Thank you all very much for any input you have.

Sincerely,

Samuelequsy4an.jpg7a5a7ute.jpg

Get rid of the pulse dampner and just use the hose,clamp it on good as well.

They can leak but generally they will still charge the line and keep okay pressure till you rev,then the volume loss will drop pressure.

After putting it back together if you still have an issue deadhead the pump with the gauge.

Attach it to the fuel filter line and check pressure there,that will narrow an issue down to the pump/lines.

If that is good,put it back on the rail and block the return line.

If you have pressure drop it will be in an injector/rail or line between filter/rail.

If you still find nothing hook the return back up and see if the regulator in jacked.

Hopefully something there works for you.

Could it be insufficient power due to old and poorly engineered FP wiring like the rest of the Gen1 W's?

You got that right!

Both of my Luminas ('92 and '93) have excessive voltage drop at the pump for no other reason that the wires GM used are 16 gauge when industry standard for that amperage draw and length would suggest 12 gauge. I lose over a volt on the supply side, and another volt on the ground side. Alternator charges at 14-something volts, but the fuel pump gets less than 12 at best. Way less than that at startup.

Electrical diagnosis of the fuel pump is made much easier with an amperage probe and an oscilloscope to go along with that voltmeter. You can then measure pump RPM and the current draw of each commutator bar in the motor. If one or more bars is significantly different from the rest...you know the electric motor of the pump is toast.

Edited by Schurkey

it's 16 gauge all the way from the engine compartment, right? I can't just put thicker wiring in the sending unit

You got that right!

Electrical diagnosis of the fuel pump is made much easier with an amperage probe and an oscilloscope to go along with that voltmeter. You can then measure pump RPM and the current draw of each commutator bar in the motor. If one or more bars is significantly different from the rest...you know the electric motor of the pump is toast.

I'm unfamiliar with both of these, but they may have come with the fuel pressure gauge and multimeter I borrowed from AutoZone with a $160 deposit.

Edited by Go4DaMo

it's 16 gauge all the way from the engine compartment, right? I can't just put thicker wiring in the sending unit

Yes, the OEM wire is thin from front to back.

Replacement wire harnesses for the sending unit are available for about $20.

Longer harness is the new one, shorter is the original one. I got mine from NAPA, p/n 888536

Lumina_Fuel_Pump_28.JPG

This is what you're likely to find when you pop the fuel tank wiring harness wires out of the plastic connector bodies for inspection:

(new versus old)

Lumina_Fuel_Pump_25.JPG

I'm unfamiliar with both of these, but they may have come with the fuel pressure gauge and multimeter I borrowed from AutoZone with a $160 deposit.

An oscilloscope and a current probe? Not likely.

my replacement pump is not a turbo design (e.g. Bosch's pump). would removing the dampener still be ideal? thanks.

I can't figure out why a person would remove the damper at all. Either it's working fine, and it goes right back in...or it leaks and it gets replaced. It's not like they're expensive. NAPA # 6751149 fits my '93 Lumina, and again it's under twenty bucks.

Edited by Schurkey

Thx for the pics! Turbo pumps don't require a pulse dampener, so cutting it out prevents it leaking and causing a problem later. I wanted the Bosch pump, but it was special order, so I bought a factory replacement off the shelf in a pinch.

Wiring kit gave me a fuel gauge lead wire that didnt fit. That's the only one I reused. Car is back on the road. Thanks, again, for all of your input!