Just another grandpa car

ThumpInTheTrunk

Hi guys, figured I'd join up here and see what's what in the W-body world. I spend most of my time on F-body forums for my 96 Trans Am WS6, but I've had this car much longer - since the beginning of 2006. It used to be my grandpa's car until he got too old to drive safely, which coincidentally lined up with me needing a car my senior year of high school. So in January of 2006, he turned over the keys to me and it got me through college and I even still use it for this and that when I feel like it. It is the not-so-common-but-a-royal-pain-in-the-ass-to-work-on 3.4L LQ1 edition. Has some pretty good get up and go for a 4-door family car, but why GM designed the layout for this engine in this car the way they did is beyond me - I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. The car had 82k miles on it when it was given to me, and currently has 116,6xx miles on it. Originally candy apple red (I think that was the paint code). Back in college, I tossed in some Alpine speakers in the front and rears, a Sony Xplod deck, and a 10" sub in the trunk with a 360W amp to replace the blown speakers and tape deck it originally had. It used to clean up real nice, pics below:

post-9127-143689138888_thumb.jpg

However, throughout my years in college, the car took some abuse in the form of other craptastic morons who seem to have been magnetically pulled to hitting me in this car. As you can see in the pics, it has a black non-painted hood and front bumper cover. The story there is a teacher at my community college was leaving in a hurry and cut a corner at a stop sign in the parking lot, hitting me head-on on my side of the lane. I managed to find a replacement red grill insert from a junkyard and put the bowtie back on it, but the paint on that is faded to hell. It also now has 2 blue doors on the driver's side from a junkyard 3.1L Lumina after a Hyundai Sonata pulled a brilliant stunt. She was sitting in a left-turn lane and decided to turn right to cut across 3 lanes of traffic without looking at all and ended up sideswiping/T-boning me as I came through the far right lane. Gotta love the old girl, though, she's driven away from all of it each time. The teacher smashed in the front lip of the hood and took the front bumper clean off and I just tossed it in the back seat and drove it home. The Hyundai lost it's front bumper as well, whereas all it gave me was 2 dented doors and some paint transfer. :lol: I call it my urban tank at this point. Tempted to find a way to mount a police push bumper on the front and see if anyone else is willing to try to hit me again.

post-9127-143689138854_thumb.jpg

post-9127-143689138861_thumb.jpg

post-9127-143689138866_thumb.jpg

post-9127-143689138872_thumb.jpg

post-9127-143689138878_thumb.jpg

post-9127-143689138882_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Not gonna lie, those pics were back before I bought my Trans Am and used to keep it as clean as I keep the Trans Am now. It still cleans up decently, but it's not as good as it looks in those pics anymore thanks to the blue doors and the black hood now has a permanent yellow film to it from sitting under a tree and baking the pollen into the hood lol. I need to take some current pics of it, those are a few years old.

@Leadfoot, I'm currently right down the street from Furneaux Elementary, but in the next couple months looking to move. Still hoping to stay within Carrollton, though, I like it being calmer than the surrounding cities lol. Just gotta convince the wife of the same :lol:

Memories! I learned how to drive on a Torch Red Euro

Nice! My parents taught me in a suburban and a gray 91 3.1L lumina, then I got this one as a graduation present. Looots of memories in this car hehe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Edited by ThumpInTheTrunk