TGP tire size

ACTdryice

In need of some new tires for my 89 TGP, what is the original tires size? Strangely mine has 3 different tires and sizes.... It does have 2 that are 245/50 r16's.. Any thoughts and or recommendations?!

I have had tire salesmen say this to me as well. however they were wrong.

that is the stock tire size for a TGP. ZR.... R is just the wrong size, period. argue all you want. :shrug:

R just means its radial, Z is a speed rating. Technically the TGP should have a Z rated tire since the stock ones were, but it's still just a speed rating and doesn't have anything to do with the size

Correct. The Z has absolutely nothing to do with the size.

There is nothing to argue. R means radial as Matt said. Z is a category speed ratings, Z, W, Y or (Y) rated tires are generally referred to as Z rated.

Edited by WhatTheFehl

I would love to hear how they are dimensionally different in size

245 is section width in mm

50 is the aspect ratio or height of the sidewall 50% of 245mm

16 is the wheel diameter

both 245/50R16 and 245/50ZR16 are 25.7 inches in diameter by any data I can find

maybe a little light reading would be good to straighten out any misinformation:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=maintenance&subject=tires&story=tires-101

if you mean correct as in- it will work in a pinch.

and no, ZR is NOT the speed rating. it IS the tire SIZE though.

Z is the speed rating, R means radial. Not sure what you are having difficulty with. It isn't a hard concept. Not sure where you got this information, whoever told you ZR had anything to do with the size is wrong, very very wrong.

look it up. TGP's never used 245 50 R 16's. period.

I find it difficult because tire salesmen are asshole about this too. they want to sell cheaper tires even if they are the wrong size.

look it up. TGP's never used 245 50 R 16's. period.

I find it difficult because tire salesmen are asshole about this too. they want to sell cheaper tires even if they are the wrong size.

THEY ARE NOT THE WRONG SIZE. Jesus Christ. Look it up. I hate when people spread misinformation. Yes TGPs should have a Z speed rating. But it has nothing to do with the size... AT ALL.

FWIW Z rated tires are usually cheaper....

you just like to argue. I run into the same problem EVERY time I go to buy tires. so be ready for it if you ever try to restore a TGP.

:lol:

I have switched tire stores 2-3 times over the years and shopped all over town recently.. I ended up going to tire rack and having them shipped to a installer. the cheapest one was firestone. so they sent them there and I got them installed there. they are BF Goodrich comps. made in usa and have the ZR on the tire size, just like the stock Goodyear Gatorbacks were.

there are some tire pics in my thread. page 1 and 2. http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/76746-shooting-for-stock-look-TGP

and here is where you can get the tires if you can't find local, which is hard to buy local because the conglomerates probably offer better commissions if you sell the house brands AKA outsourced foreign tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=45WR6GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Speaking of misinformation....

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/tire-guide/speed-rating

** Per the TR&A 2007 yearbook, for tires having a maximum speed capability above 240 km/h (149 mph), a "ZR" may appear in the size designation. For tires having a maximum speed capacity above 300 km/h (186 mph), a "ZR" must appear in the size designation and a Service Description, including the Y Speed Symbol, must be included in brackets.

Like Mike's been trying to say Z is a speed rating, R Radial. a 245-50-R16 is the same size as a 245-50-zr16. If rated for under 300kph/186mph it does not *HAVE* to have the ZR but obviously that varies manufacturer to manufacturer. If ABOVE 300kpm/186mph it MUST have that, plus the (Y)

Speaking of misinformation....

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/tire-guide/speed-rating

Like Mike's been trying to say Z is a speed rating, R Radial. a 245-50-R16 is the same size as a 245-50-zr16. If rated for under 300kph/186mph it does not *HAVE* to have the ZR but obviously that varies manufacturer to manufacturer. If ABOVE 300kpm/186mph it MUST have that, plus the (Y)

that does not sound like misinformation? the sizing of a tire has more to do with JUST the physical dimensions of a tire, also has to do with the amount of power and gearing and weight of a car I imagine when a choice is made.

ZR rated tires are speed rated up to 149 MPH, which as high as they went in 1989-90 when the TGP was built. Most modern tires will be rated higher than ZR such as W or Y. The TGP Purist would search for a ZR rated at 149 without the 101Y or such after the size posted on the sidewall.

that does not sound like misinformation? the sizing of a tire has more to do with JUST the physical dimensions of a tire, also has to do with the amount of power and gearing and weight of a car I imagine when a choice is made.

What the hell are you talking about?? Chris just explained exactly why the "Z" appeared in the size designation, and why the tire is technically rated "W" but retains that "Z". You're clouding the discussion.

• 2 months later...

GEEZUS!!!!!

Garrett, there are Plenty of resources to read about this:

such as:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

let me educate:

245/50ZR16

245/50ZR16 89Z

245/50R16 89Z

ARE THREE DIFFERENT WAYS OF WRITING OUT THE EXACT SAME THING.

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

However, since the Z rating has had ratings created that exceed it, you could also get any tire that is marked:

245/50R16 89W

245/50ZR16 89W

245/50R16 89Y

245/50ZR16 89Y

245/50R16 89(Y)

245/50ZR16 89(Y)

and still get your kicks on route 66 at far faster than your car was ever intended to drive..

Edited by Crazy K