convertibles still out there?

ripp

Just wondered if there is a way that we can find out how many of these cars are still left on the road? I have seen older cars at car shows with papers showing how many of that car are known . Thought that there may be a way for us to find out.

I've wondered about that often myself. My latest guess is 15k, with 10k in junkyards or scrapped. Of the 15k, 10k are parked or being repaired, and 5k on the road this summer. I only see a couple here in Oregon. What do you guys think?

I ran a database for a while was up to around 3500 documented I'd say 1/2-2/3 were junkyard cars but keep in mind when manic-mechanic originally had it he started with cars on copart.com iirc

I no longer have this so please don't send me a bunch of pm's asking about it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see about 10-12 around Pittsburgh. Most are teal. One is green /tan/ tan and driven as a daily ride even in winter. There are a couple of beat up black ones. Thats about it.

No love in the Burgh for the beauties.

Karen, with the only silver one in this group....I think

I wouldn't mind one, right one has to come along though. I came close to calling when Karen's was up for sale haha I was kinda surprised to see it surface on this forum.

as for how many, I forget the exact numbers. But I'd almost wager more convertibles are being preserved then coupes. Overall probably not all that many left, however they had a greater likelihood of being preserved then their hard topped counterparts.

It's kind-a' weird for the Seattle area, but I see these convertibles a lot. Of course when the sun comes out, like lately, there are even more. I usually can't drive 20 miles or 20 minutes before I see one. Most are Red.

I'm not sure why they are so popular in an area known for a lot of rain and snow. Maybe the owners all have nice garages:thumbsup:

I haven't seen as many around this summer that are "summer cruisers" most of the ones I see are driven all year round and are in pretty bad shape. I know there are quite a few that are well kept that are still around.

They are rare here in North Dakota. Wish I had time to use mine more. Just got it out of the barn last week after last Sept. I wll use for a couple weeks. Can't seem to sell it:shrug:, or find time to use it:roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Black ones are rare but the blue and red ones are more common in Maryland. They show up from time to time, most of them with the newer "War of 1812" tags, so I can assume they're driven to some extent. I did see a CSV in NE DC one time, white body, black roof. I sadly own the only black/black vert in the DC area. CS Verts are a rare sight in Virginia though... I get people asking me about it all the time when I go there. Mine's daily driven this summer... that's that. It hurts to see them at the yard but then I remind myself.... I NEED PARTS!! hahahaa

Edited by Nas Escobar

I am in London Ontario. There are 3 in London, my red 3.4 DOHC ,a red 3.1 that is mint and a red 3.4 with chrome rims that looks to be in good shape also. I also know of a red and black one in small towns out side of London. There are about 10 for sale on Kijiji in Ontario. Mine is 1994 3.4 Dohc in fair condition. I bought it in rough shape, body was good, no rust, and I have been working on it constantly to get it back in good shape. It has a new roof, after market stereo, brand new Michelins, new door handles, new plugs and wires, etc. 220,000 km or 136,700 miles. It could use new shocks all the way around it and it needs a driver's side fuse box replace, due to stripped post, the interior door panels need to be replaced, and I am putting a computer in it this weekend hoping this fixes an electrical issue I have been chasing since I got the car. I love this car, drives, great, lots of fun and I love the compliments I get while driving it. People roll down the windows at stop lights to tell me "Nice car, what year, wow in great shape". I go the Cutlass convertible fever now. Only thing I would let it go for would be a 1967 cutlass convertible.

Just spotted a 92 red one in Walmart parking lot. I wanted to stop the guy and talk but I figured driving out of the lot in his vert and driving into the lot in my Rav, I would startle him.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have my 93 cutlass convertible. I am the 3rd owner and it has 122,000 miles on it. Garage kept, stored in the winter. Won a 1st place a year ago at the Oldsmobile nationals in Iowa. It is red, with black top and graphite interior. All original.

I saw a 94 red and black vert. yesterday at my local junkyard. a beautiful car that still had all its equipment. guess someone junked it due to blown head gasket.

thats a shame:( Mine is a 91. Im the second and fourth owner. The third owner beat it up. I sold it to him showroom at 11 yrs. Mine again at 22 years and in for a complete redo. Hoping she is showroom again soon. Silver /white top / red interior.

I really think trying to keep a registry is an excellent idea. I just don't think too many of these cars are still around. Mine turns heads all the time even next to the coupes still on the road.

I rarely ever seem them anymore myself. I don't think I have seen another convertible for the last 2 years. People do stare when they see mine.

Mine is white/black top (formerly off white/gray/tan when I got it)/burgundy interior. Little to no rust, top needs adjustment, runs ok, but am still trying to figure out what the engine rebuilder messed up when they fixed a rod bearing issue, as I use a TON of gas under any acceleration. However I enjoy driving the car so much I put up with the gas expense. I drive it all the time from late spring through early fall. I have installed the driver information center and the controls for the HUD but am too chicken to cut my one and only dash pad for it. I also want to put a '91 digital display (awesome units), but haven't gotten around to it.

I am in London Ontario. There are 3 in London, my red 3.4 DOHC ,a red 3.1 that is mint and a red 3.4 with chrome rims that looks to be in good shape also. I also know of a red and black one in small towns out side of London. There are about 10 for sale on Kijiji in Ontario. Mine is 1994 3.4 Dohc in fair condition. I bought it in rough shape, body was good, no rust, and I have been working on it constantly to get it back in good shape. It has a new roof, after market stereo, brand new Michelins, new door handles, new plugs and wires, etc. 220,000 km or 136,700 miles. It could use new shocks all the way around it and it needs a driver's side fuse box replace, due to stripped post, the interior door panels need to be replaced, and I am putting a computer in it this weekend hoping this fixes an electrical issue I have been chasing since I got the car. I love this car, drives, great, lots of fun and I love the compliments I get while driving it. People roll down the windows at stop lights to tell me "Nice car, what year, wow in great shape". I go the Cutlass convertible fever now. Only thing I would let it go for would be a 1967 cutlass convertible.

hi dkas,

one of the moderators of this site, now lives in woodstock. he has 3 'verts. he has a black one he brought up from texas...it was rough. he did a great job fixing it up. he also has a white one with maroon interior. a fellow in guelph also has a white one, as do i , here in burlington. we have gone to a show and shine in cambridge at the home depot on tuesday nights. seeing 3 identical cars sitting side by side is a site indeed.

gryfan

• 3 weeks later...

I drive mine daily & to my knowledge I have the only one in town, hardly ever see them, do see a few sunbird verts in town. Just turned 68000 on her & just got a new top & going to try & install myself. Next is paint job (probably next year) might change to a red which goes great with the tan interior.

There are 3 besides mine I see in the Knoxville area from time to time, an all black one (my favorite color combo), a red one with white top/interior, and a white one that looks almost exactly like mine. I don't see them often, though, I suspect mine is the only one generally driven on a daily basis.

I have a 1993 DOHC. It's red with graphite leather interior and a black top. I drive her every day to work , which is only a few miles from home. I bought her about 4 years ago from a co-worker of my husband for $1,000. I have been restoring her ever since then. New: top and weather stripping, windshield, windshield lace, tires, Delco battery, gas tank, fuel pump, struts, brakes, rotars, ac compressor and condenser, computer, iginition control module, water pump, power steering pump and pulley, alternator, starter, belts, rack, idle control module, blend door, cup holder inside console, oem lug nut covers, Used but better: dash, speedo with tach, leather front seats, recovered console lid, window controls (driver and passenger), rebuilt remote keyless entry receiver (thanks W-Body) , headlights header, front passenger wheel well, visors, redyed carpet and floor mats . Various small used and new parts. Had her painted this spring so I am thinking about parking her and covering her on bad days this winter and driving our old "spare" a 89 Chevy S10 Tahoe. My daughter has my Taurus at college three hours away and my husband drives the family car to work. Don't see many Cutlass convertibles here either, only two I can recall. One belonged to a girlfriend's dad but he just sold it. He sold it within hours of the first publication in the newspaper. I have to say, mine is the best looking of the two here in town! ;)

I know this thread is a little old but I am the second owner of a 92 convertible. She is a daily driver after a motor and trans swap from a wrecked Buick. Next on the list is a new top. I'm in Texas so we can usually leave the top down anyway.

Hello all-

I just bought mine a week ago. Had to drive an hour or so to see it and got a bit mixed up on the way back...ended up turning around in a parking lot where a Cutlass 'vert was sitting! I'm thinking, "What are the odds?"

After we got back on the interstate another Cutlass 'vert passed us in the opposite direction! It was just a good day for Cutlass in Minnesota I guess.

Scotty