Gen I carpet for an 89 GP

ACTdryice

I need new carpet for my gen 2 as well. I have yet to find an aftermarket carpet supplier that does not have abysmal reviews.

After reading old threads kinda seems like other than ill fitting AM carpets I should, clean replace padding and deal with minor imperfections. But I'll check out ACC

I think aftermarket carpets are abysmal too.

I have salvaged good condition used carpets with good results... I do an in depth cleaning, hosing them down and scrubbing them repeatedly while they were hung on a saw horse. This way I have a fully clean and ready carpet to go in a car with quick turn around.

I've usually been charged less than $20 at do it yourself yards for good carpet. I have even repeated the process on the freshly swapped out carpet and rotated it into service on the next vehicle. Hell, the last one was so damaged and stained... I made custom floor mats out of it!

Yes, much better results with cleaning. I went that route with my 96 and really was surprised how well it came out.

I went the replacement route on my 88 though because I did have holes and some spots worn down to the mat so I ordered one from ACC. I ordered for an 89 cutlass to be sure they didn't send one for a Cutlass Classic but it seems like theres more carpet in the footwells than I really need so I'm kind of wondering if it is a cutlass classic carpet that I'm trying to fit in there. I think it'll look fine though. The original carpets are Much heavier and have a thick rubber layer that the replacements (or at least the ACC ones) don't have, and cutting all the holes and trimming the sides is kind of a PITA. Getting the right color is a pain too, they don't have the factory color names so you have to figure out a best match from their spectrum of colors on-line and have them send samples to match up (which they're very co-operative about but it's still a pain in the butt).