Hello from hot Las Vegas- 2000 Olds Intrigue

Rick Ketchledge

short hello as I just finally joined w-body.com; I have observed and read here for some time, as there are great resources.

I have owned my 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL for near 14 years now (bought new late 1999), and it has 84k miles and still keep it pristine.

My daughter has had it the last two years for College, but I have it back, as she now took my 2006 Mini Cooper S to College (I prefer the Olds!). The Intrigue was IMO ahead of its time (check the specs vs any new mid size car), and with the LX5 DOHC v6, is fast and a great handling car. My brother was an exec with VWoA at the time I ordered my car, and he actually recommended the Intrigue over the Passat at the time, saying the car is one of the best "regardless of price". He was right. Blame then GM VP NA Ron Zarella for not getting the word out on the car. Outgoing Olds head John Rock had it right, but Ron didn't listen to his advice when he left GM. Ron of course was thrown out when his 'branding cars like toothpaste' efforts failed at GM. Ron, a non-car guy if there was ever one.

I actually 'raced' my Intrigue for over an hour at Road America, Elkhart Lake WI, in 2000, hitting 130 on each pass of the front straight, passing BMWs and Volvo Turbos (among others) in turns as they saw the small 'Oldsmobile' logo on the rear decklid LOL. The track is aprox. 14 turns and 4 miles per lap. In all that time, no brake fade whatsoever, and the car was very composed. Only downside was the 'off cam' coming out of turns until about 2000 rpm.

Recently refurb with clay bar, paint and such has rally made 'the gray ghost' (Silver Mist) shine. Some road rash is still here and there, but helps 'tell the history' of the car IMO. I have no plans to get rid of it, as its still fairly reliable and a great drive. My daughter can keep the Mini, I am keeping the Olds! Thanks to everyone for making and keeping W-body.com awesome for all these years!

-Rick

P.S. there are many who dislike or even hate FWD, but as a long time car enthusiast, and past SCCA solo racer, I know FWD can handle and be fun. The W-body in particular was one of GM's better designed platforms, and why it last so long. Drive on!