Can someone explain

redgrandprix

All(except specialty) aftermarket speakers, including these, have an impedance of 4 ohms.

All(except specialty) aftermarket head units call for 4 ohm speakers. That is, it wants to see 4 ohms at each corner, however you acheive that.

So if you already have an aftermarket head unit, yes they work. I don't know how good or bad that is compared to other makes, but in general people feel Sony is cheapo whereas Alpine is much better. But we can't all afford the very greatest speakers. What speakers are in there now? I'm guessing these Sonys would be better than that.

many factory systems use strange impedances. Their speakers are of strange impedances to match what the strange head units call for. If you have aftermarket speakers with a factory head unit, or vice-versa, you're mismatching impedances and that can become an issue. too high impedance speakers make it too quiet, and too low impedance speakers can give you clipping and/or risk damaging the amplifier in the head unit.

Edited by madbrad

The impedance of speakers will only cause differences in volume with all other things being equal. Speaker sensitivities and frequency response curves are far more telling of a speaker's relative volume level than merely looking at the ohm rating on the back of the magnet.

• 3 weeks later...

Me personally would go with infinity kappas... I have them and they are richer and warmer than alpine type r's especially when you put an amp on them... they are also 2 ohm speakers which will give you more power out of your amp and if you wire them to your head-unit they are safe and will not cause any problem with it... I have 5.25 components up front and the 2 way 6x9's in the rear powered by a mtx td series 4 channel.

what i'm trying to do is get the most bass/ best sound from a system with no amp, i particulary don't want to go through the process of hooking up an amp because if i'm going to do that i might as well get a sub but now i'm kinda liking jbl's but still up in the air

You will be disappointed with whatever you purchase then. Mids, aka full range speakers, arent designed for much bass. Couple that with your head units low power output, likely somewhere in the 14-30 watts RMS range, and you are underpowering your fancy new mids.

You will be disappointed with whatever you purchase then. Mids, aka full range speakers, arent designed for much bass. Couple that with your head units low power output, likely somewhere in the 14-30 watts RMS range, and you are underpowering your fancy new mids.

Thank you, that is what i was wondering, i'm not sure I would be dissappointed, i've got some OLD sony xplods or atleast they don't make them in the same style and they sound pretty good just not as good as my friends cars that are newer, i want the bass thats being played to be a little cleaner, not my cousin's jl subs that make my entire body vibrate.