Painting the 5-spoke wheels... help needed

Senor PuffPuff

I'm going to paint the stock 5-spoke wheels (the 00-02 LS wheels), but I really need to get that crappy clear-coat stuff off, and I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I've thought about sanding it off, but that will take a LOT of manual sanding. I've also thought about using some sort of paint stripper, but I don't want to damage the aluminum.

Hopefully someone else has done this or knows someone who has, I basically just need help getting that clear coat off. Mine is in REALLY bad shape because of all the salt used on the roads during winter up here in Ontario. It's cracked and peeling and I just really need to do something about it before the salt starts to eat away at the aluminum too much more.

Thanks.

Great, thanks guys I'll give that a try...

But also part 2 to this question - does anyone know where I can find some clear coat for the rims as well? I need something that won't come off as easily as the OEM clear... I'm thinking maybe epoxy clear coat?

Great, thanks guys I'll give that a try...

But also part 2 to this question - does anyone know where I can find some clear coat for the rims as well? I need something that won't come off as easily as the OEM clear... I'm thinking maybe epoxy clear coat?

the automotive paint stores sell the clear coat and catalyst. and might have a pre-val sprayer if you don't have a paint gun/compressor.

however it will still peel off over time. you would have to decide if you are keeping those wheels forever and want powdercoat or not.

Edited by Garrett Powered

• 2 months later...

X3

Aircraft paint stripper, and powdercoat is the way to go. But if you can't afford the powder coat paint then head to Advance or O'reillys and get some VHT gloss black epoxy paint. Works like a charm on aluminum. But make sure you sand it well after you strip it or the paint wont bond correctly. I would go no higher than a 320 grit paper for it.