Power steering leaking

GaPrix

So oddly enough 1 year ago my return line melted and I lost steering, fried the pulley and now the pressure line just went. I made the drive home before I lost all fluid thankfully, by the time I got it i the garage it was jet streaming from the metal fitted area and the hose. I wondering how bad of a job this may be? I cant find it in my Haynes manual not even sure where the line leads exactly.

i had to do it by removing the intake ducting and doing it all from up top. you MIGHT be able to do it from below with the right tools.

either way, it's not fun and you won't want to do it again.

I did mine from both top and bottom. I put the car up on ramps, and used line wrenches to get at the fitting. I remember going back and forth from top to bottom to get it good and tight.

Alright, well it sucked. I ended up dropping the cradle a few inches, I'm really hoping i didnt mess anything up. From there it wasnt difficult, the line broke loose without much force, I expected it to be rusted on. The hardest part was getting the right angle to screw the new one in. I probably should have degreased the engine still have fluids burning off.

I did notice while bleeding, I was checking for leaks under the car and saw that my rack/pinion boots where both torn in a couple places, can those be replaced individually? Or is a new rack required? Will I be leaking p/s fluid from there?

Ugh, I remember this job did suck.

I found this boot, claims to work on 94 Cutlass 3.4 DOHC, but not the Prix. I don't know why, they should be the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-CUTLASS-Power-Steering-Rack-and-Pinion-Boot-/330607692621?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1994|Make%3AOldsmobile|Model%3ACutlass+Supreme|Submodel%3ABase|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.4L&hash=item4cf9c10b4d&vxp=mtr

No, I don't believe it'll leak.

• 2 months later...

MOOG makes those boots, called "BELLOWS." A non-dumbass parts guy can get them for you.

Fuck that return line, I cut that shit up with a tube cutter to remove it and used some bulk power steering hose for the return line.

The boots on the end of the rack are only DUST boots for the inner tie rod ends. There is no fluid to leak out of there. If there is fluid leaking, its because the outer seals in the rack are bad, and that does require rack and pinion replacement. If the dust boots are torn, it will allow dirt and moisture to enter the inner tie rod end joint and cause it to fail prematurely. Your call on what you want to do here. They can be purchased at an auto parts store. You will need to remove the outer tie rod ends, cut the old ones off, and slide the new ones on. Don't forget to get new clamps as the factory boot clamps are a one time use.

I made the drive home before I lost all fluid thankfully, by the time I got it i the garage it was jet streaming from the metal fitted area and the hose.

First Guess: The power steering pump is damaged from lack of lube, and excess heat.

Fuck that return line, I cut that shit up with a tube cutter to remove it and used some bulk power steering hose for the return line.

Some shit-for-brains did that to my '92 Lumina when fixing a PS leak--removed the steel tubing attached to the cradle for the PS return circuit, and replaced it with a bunch of PS hose.

I asked them if they understood that the steel tubing was used to dissipate excess heat in the power steering fluid. They didn't seem to "get" that.

I put the steel tubing back on. Should have never subcontracted that job to begin with. Lesson learned--don't let boneheads remove parts just because they don't understand the purpose of the part.

Edited by Schurkey

First Guess: The power steering pump is damaged from lack of lube, and excess heat.

Some shit-for-brains did that to my '92 Lumina when fixing a PS leak--removed the steel tubing attached to the cradle for the PS return circuit, and replaced it with a bunch of PS hose.

I asked them if they understood that the steel tubing was used to dissipate excess heat in the power steering fluid. They didn't seem to "get" that.

I put the steel tubing back on. Should have never subcontracted that job to begin with. Lesson learned--don't let boneheads remove parts just because they don't understand the purpose of the part.

Thanks for the insult.

If you are so concerned about the heat install a cooler. Thats all the factory return line is.

There are alternatives to the difficult to install factory line.

Thanks for the insult.

If you are so concerned about the heat install a cooler. Thats all the factory return line is.

There are alternatives to the difficult to install factory line.

Actually he is correct to say that is is a cooler. And should be used. With the rack being so close to the exhaust it is very easy to over heat the fluid. And you can burn up the pump this way and also damage the rack. The fluid acts just as much as a lubricant as much as it tranfers fluid force.

I have over heated my fluid before and it is not good for the system. I plan on taking my factory 9C3 trans cooler and running it for the PS lines since I plan to autocross and road race a lot more this year. And I plan to upgrade to a full sythetic power steering fluid from royal purple